HybridZ

Custom door handles

Guest 2adz

The door handles are from a mid '90's GEO Storm. It's my way of shaving the doors without relying on solenoids. The GEO handles are also all steel so there shouldn't be any breakage like the pot metal Z handles. Go to this site and view the contents of the slide show and near the bottom you will find my installation of the GEO door handles.

http://photos.msn.com/viewing/album.aspx?m7A!X9U3q6bynoZEhFj0Uxr23pf1juYdg1nNFYAAEqBVWKAtmkPWJmH4m*HO28gH8XWNx5ZjQ1TSgaP23ZPIyeCyZxPPJxoJrjWlUvqYjKTZCfShhmyvxg$$

Looks like a pretty good idea.

But, and this may sound mean, I think that those fiberglass inserts in the fenders are going to crack. From what I've read elsewhere (and here, esp. from Fiberglass Terry), fiberglass bonded to metal cannot be thought of as a permanent thing.

The 2 materials expand and contract at different rates. Plus, with this area, you have the door slamming into it constantly. It's a bit worrisome.

You know what would be slick? Convincing the salvage yard you're getting the latches from to sell you cut outs of the door jamb area (including the recesses) and then welding those to the Z. Then you could blend it with lead (or bondo).