HybridZ

Wheel well question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I miscalculated on my fold back on one side and it is going to be a PITA to regain the strengrh I cut out and the gap is an open door for all kind of mishaps..

Here is a shot of what it should look like when you're done. Sorry I didn't take progress shots. It would have explained a lot more.

14DJ_R2_.jpg

The rear fenders were filleted to accommodate the larger tires. Instead of welding I took the advice of a kitcar builder who has done this on Z cars many times before. The outer fender is cut in an arch that matches the maximum radius of the inner fender. The inner fender is sliced radially about every 2". The slices are bent up and over the outer fender, trimmed, and secured with sheet metal screws to the outer fender. Then all the holes and slots are sealed up with a special HVAC duct tape that has an aluminum top and very sticky caulk like under side that is self-healing and permanently seals out air and water.

Guest Anonymous

I was not listening too well when ol Rory got to the wheel well part. I am impressed, Dan ! I can't imagine a guy could do such good work with only a red handled crescent wrench.

Guest Anonymous

This is kind of stupid, but I notice that when people enlarge the outer wheelwell, usually before glassing on either fender flares, kitcar tail, or some other rebody involving the rear clip, that they go about it by cutting the wheel opening in to "strips", folding them back onto the body, and then usually screwing them down. Why not just grind it off instead?

Guest nezzie76

The reason that I cut tabs in the wheel wells and then folded them over was because the becomes a gap in the body. The is an outer and an inner skin and the higher you cut, the farther it seperates. So by folding the tabs I was able to close the hole and keep stuff like water out.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zachb55

Dan-

How come you cut out that section behind the wheel? where you can see the gas tank hoses?!?!

did that particular kit call for that or what? i really wish they still made those, i love your flares!!!