HybridZ

280ZX Need Help with Chrome Piece

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey All! This is carls girlfriend so bare with me ;P Ok.. He has a 1983 Datsun 280zx that hes restoring ( which Im sure most of you know by now with the hours he spends on this message board ;P Kidding ;P) Anyway He took the window out of the car and the chrome piece on the top and bottom of the window, without destroying the chrome pieces.. Now heres the problem... Theres a "hard plastic - with a rubber attached thing.. that has clips" and the clips hold the chrome onto the car.. He got the chrome off fine but the clips broke on that.. thing tongue.gif and the rubbers are all beat up.. Does anyone know the name of this item which Ive described ( So I can stop calling it a thing tongue.gif ) And If so, does anyone know where we can order one? ( We already contacted Eric at Zparts) Thanks All! Also, is there another way to install the chrome without using this part? ( No GLUE! tongue.gif ) :confused:

Vicki & Carl

Guest greimann

If you are talking about the windshield, I believe they are called moulding clips. They are plastic strips that must be bonded in at the same time the windshield is replaced. I got mine from a Nissan dealer. Dont put the windshield in without these clips becuse it is a pain to scrape away the glue and put them in after the fact.

Guest Anonymous

Greimann,

Thanks for the info.I didnt even think about going to the dealer for the item. malebitchslap.gif But to be honest,whenever I do go to the dealer for an item they tell me it's no longer available. :mad: I hope I have better luck this time. BTW it was a real pain to get the crome to slide off those clips.Would you (or any other members)have any suggestions for an easy re-installation?

Guest greimann

Like any other hidden clip system, disassembly is about 10X more difficult than assembly. Just line up the moulding where it is supposed to go and snap it down. Just use hand pressure and don't kink the trim. Removing these pieces is sometimes facilitated by a special tool that slides up under the trim to un-hook the clips. You can find them at an autoparts store.

Guest Anonymous

tongue.gif Thanks again.

BTW the pic of the Z at the bottom of your reply is awsome looking.Finally got a nice digital cam so I can start posting pics of my projects soon.Have a 10th ann. editon gold on black w/ all new emblems and parts to restore,just begging for my attention. Im putting a flame job on the one Im working on now ('83) so it will sell faster.B/C I have my eye on another 83 in near perfect condition.

Again Thanks,

Carl