HybridZ

A glass dash

Dan Juday

Got to see 4 Tomahawks today at a gatering in Sacramento. Also met the designer/producer. The Tomahawk has a custom fiberglass dash cover that is way cool. And he will sell it by itself if you like. Unfortunately he doesn't have a shop right now to produce them. That is supposed to change soon though. $130 finished in black gelcoat but can be painted (to match the body like the Tomahawk if you like). I told him to send me the next one out of the mold. I'll let you all know when it arrives. This is a much better alternative to the caps if you have a cracked dash and want a custom look.

Guest Locutus

I always wondered where you get that kit from. I have never seen any websites or phone numbers for it, or any details on the kit itself.

I'd like to see a pic too - then I might like to have one made of CF. I want to do some CF stuff and am really thinking that there are a few flat easy pieces I can try and not screw up too badly.... the little dogleg cardboard things just behind the criver's and passenger's seats for starters icon_smile.gif

BTW, John Washington at VR Engineering has two different fiberglass dashboards. One like mine (Alphabet GTO) and a different GTO type made originally by Jim Simpson.

The Alpha dash is designed to use the original guages and looks like leather but is really black fiberglass. You remove all the vinyl and foam from the stock dash all the way down to the metal skeleton. Then you mount the new dash to the old frame and fill in the gaps with expanding foam (i.e. Great Stuff).

Both dash boards are nice but don't have glove compartments (but you coud make one).

I just bought an MSA armrest and put everything in the center console.

Just heard from Eric. He is going to try and get some pics up on this thread tonight. Taking nothing away from John Washington, (I have a pile of his fiberglass in the garage just waiting)but this is really a different product. You do nothing to the stock dash. It slips over top of it. Attaches with screws on each end that are only visable with the doors open. It spans from the windshield to about the top of the glovebox. The idea is to simulate a look like the Cobra with a windshield mounted on top of a cowl that stretches to a flat,vertical dash. Oh well, I like it. Maybe Eric will get the pics up soon and you might too.

Guest Anonymous

Hi, Everyone

Dan asked me to scrounge up an example of Rory Bateman's dash design for his Z based Tomahawk kits after he attended a Tomahawk BBQ that I invited him to on Sunday. Being the main photographer documenting and showcasing the Tomahawk kit these days, I've pretty much become an honorary member of the Northern California Tomahawk Owners club and usually attend most of their gatherings.

What I can show you at the moment is not one of the black or dark colored glossy types such as Dan saw, but rather, a non-glossy type in a Tomahawk that Dan did not see, owned by Nimo of San Jose, CA Below is a small photo from my files.

00r26f01rw300.jpg

To see a much larger view of this image click HERE

Because I get so many requests for information about the Tomahawk kit, I have long planned to put up somekind of documentation and history on the kit. After Dan's request, I hurriedly put together the beginnings of a web section devoted to the kit. Those unfamiliar with the photos I have showcased in the past can get a nice introduction HERE

I also have a nice shot of the dash replacement design that Rory Bateman designed for the red 280ZX prototype Tomahawk shown at the home page of Z PARTS, but I did not have time today to ready it for the web. Maybe in a few days.

Today I put up my first trial web section devoted to the Tomahawk kit and it's history so others can learn more about this beautifully crafted rebody kit. You can check it out at my new ZCARZ alter ego site.

Hope the dash intersests some of you. Ball's back in your court, Dan

Eric Neyerlin - Photographer and Owner of zpsig_75.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Man I like the looks of that kit... Eric, it said he was looking to set up shop in the Sacramento area, did this happen and if so where is it at? Although its beyond my means at the moment, I'd like to see one of these in person. Great photo's as usual btw.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Dan & Lone

I worked on my new Tomahawk Showcase section a bit more today. At the site I now have a freshly written Tomahawk "Current News" piece that will answer a lot of questions being asked about the kit.

At the bottom is mention of the next big event that many Northern California Tomahawk owners will be showing their cars at. It's the NCKCC kit car show being held September 8-9th at the San Leandro, CA Marina. Review the

"Current News" section for more related links to the event.

Eric Neyerlin

Lone read the current news page for several answers to your questions.

Eric

Guest Anonymous

That is one sweet looking kit, it looks like the fibre glass body is real high quality stuff, might add it to my wish list.

Does anyone know if you can get a right hand drive dash cap?

Guest Anonymous

I don't know if it is on his web site, but John Washington at VR Engineering sells a copy of the GTO dash,they sell for 200 bucksand come painted in black gel-coat.

Guest Locutus

Hey Ray I have one the dashes from John Washington. The Alpha style I believe. If you want you can come look at it up close. I haven't mounted it in the car yet so you can get a good look.

Mike

• 1 year later...