HybridZ

#1,222 Project

About six months ago I picked up HLS30-01222 (Feb, 1970 date) in Northern VA, and trailered it home (err... also to Northern VA) to begin bringing it back to life. The previous owner had done a good job protecting it, but it hadn't run in about two years. It's pretty damn straight as far as rust goes; floor boards in the footwells have been replaced & covered (I believe). The paint isn't pretty; I was told "it's the original color, but not the original paint job." Having talked to some people (Lets just be clear: zpizzaman20 has been a huge source of information over the last 2 weeks), this probably isn't the original green. On the plus side, it's a real solid project car to start with: Low rust, numbers matching engine (with the correct SU carbs), and the interor is in incredible shape (all things considered).

So, what does it need? Lots of stuff. A good amount of parts were missing. Suspension and brakes were shot. Car needed to be tuned... badly. Weather stripping & window gaskets are all shot.

We (myself and my Auto Guru ("AG") were able to do plugs/wires/fuel and get it running, but it was rough. So since then, the project has been two fold:

1) Trying to track down the missing parts

2) Trying to get the mechanical aspects hammered out.

The AG is back on less than positive circumstances from Afghanistan, so while he's home we've been working on the car a lot. Hence my push to post this. The goal is to get the car put back together this fall, and hopefully have it re-painted over the winter. The time-line isn't critical (getting married next year... I guess I should spend as much on it as I can now...), and the ultimate goal is to have a nice weekend car. I won't race it, we're trying to bring it back to nearly stock condition (no fancy radios or 18" rims); just an enjoyable car.

So, I'll be throwing up some photos and happily soliciting advice from the masses over the next 6 months or so. I'll start by adding some photos later tonight/tomorrow.

Cheers,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...