HybridZ

ttoude

Guest ttoude

1977 280 Bought Sept 2009 $1200

This aint no resto thread

The whole point of the car is track time and daily reliability.

So some of my descions arent gonna jive with the ultimate extreme horsepower guys.

Most of my piers are running 2.0L turbos and I'm starting with 2.8 turbo, so that edge goes to me at the track.

Goals:

Cooling.

the best possible suspension.

full interior

AC

Normal motor.

LSD r200

Undecided on wheels

Bolt in camber plates

Coilovers

Fender flare and spacers (not for looks. z's a REAL narrow cars)

GT wing

borg warner

Front splitter

Cage & Harness'

Full interiour & radio

The paint is from the poision dart frog and I had to try it full scale cause i cant draw. Gonna do the final rendition soon.

Just fun and havin a good time until its time for me to punch the clock.

Now for some pics

Edited by ttoude

2010 speed report, Lucy (lucy=my z) blowing away any expectations I set for it last winter.

In stock trim it even began to creep up on some of the local guys. Time attack was a very nice 12.00.00 x 1 run on a 13mile run, My best was 8.41.15 in a NA 1st get rx7. Auto X was 39.91 and the top times were high 36's. 2 drift events a bad radiator kill the first event but at the very end of the last I did one run that I was pretty happy with. Maby somebody got it on video.

As for running my z as is, I need to get a feel for the car and begin to understand it. Yeah I'm that kinda car guy. Unlike many other things in my life this approch worked. I about 30% in tune with the car.

the turbo was a great choice and a easy swap thanks to Nelson. You need it nelsons got the part AND the story behind it.

Anyway the next step is brakes, rebuild the extra motor, R200 & coilovers. The hopefully that 12.00.52 touge time will turn into 8 min or so.

Edited by ttoude

• 3 weeks later...

A quick note on drifting S30's.

yes it can be done, however it is an advanced drift car. meaning the techniques needed to drift this car go well beyond what a garden variety s13 require. The e-brake technique is nearly void in this car. Ebraking makes a MASSIVE weight shift to the rear. I think since you are seated so rearward almost on the axels and just the way the body is shaped is what make e-braking useless.

Dynamic Drifting, Yes that's what gets smoke, angle & speed on this car. Go back to your basics of the drift bible where different cars REQUIRE different styles. AE86, s12, ka71, 1st & 2nd gen rx7's cover my experience drift-wise and the Z is about as far you can get from that group. Seating position, power band, and overall stance.

I have run this car as NA fuel injection with stock suspension 7 inch ride height & 175/70/14's. It did well but lacked sustainable power in the large sweepers.

As a turbo lowered 3 inches with 225/60/15's and did much better with that setup but still spun alot.

A roll cage & coilovers are goin to be MANDATORY to start this car flexes like crazy. Those are my next priorities in that order.

So again start with L28eT, rollcage, coilovers & lsd from a late model Z but a regular r200 will do.

No a V8 is not nessasary, easy or recommended. This is a 30 year old car and you WILL torque twist this body with a V8. It's 30 years old and not desined for it & and takes a butt load of money and body reinforcements to do right. L28eT's can hold 500whp without major mods and 1000whp with certain mods.

Just give up any idea of being a "basic drifter" with this style of car you will quicly advance in a Z.

initiaion and coner entrance are with a very slight feint and hammer the gas. Ebrake only works to scrub speed and get the nose closer to clipping points.

Manji is almost easy with this wheel base. I don't have much experience with changing directions ie switch backs.

Corner entrance has to be REAL fast too. Anyway That's what I've found so far with My Fairlady. Hope it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Z 1/4 time slips

0-60: 10.50

1/8 mile: 13.56

1/4 mile: 19.13

Horsepower: 90

g-Force: 2.8

Avg Speed: 47.0

0-60: 8.53

1/8 mile: 13.19

1/4 mile: 19.72

Horsepower: 82

g-Force: 3.0

Avg Speed: 45.6

Retarded timing

0-60: 3.40

1/8 mile: 12.60

1/4 mile: 18.34

Horsepower: 102

g-Force: 3.0

Avg Speed: 49.1

0-60: 11.84

1/8 mile: 12.07

1/4 mile: 17.91

Horsepower: 110

g-Force: 1.1

Avg Speed: 50.2

0-60: 11.84

1/8 mile: 12.07

1/4 mile: 17.91

Horsepower: 110

g-Force: 1.1

Avg Speed: 50.2

Edited by ttoude

just read Garrett's Turbo 101,102, & 103 now I know why I have a knock. Lesson learned.

0-60: 3.83

1/8 mile: 11.15

1/4 mile: 16.89

Horsepower: 131

g-Force: 4.1

Avg Speed: 53.3