HybridZ

Custom Dash (how to?)

Guest Aaron

In this thread in the Chevy Forum, several people spoke about doing a custom dash and adapting the camaro guage pod into it. How would someone go about creating a custom dash? The dash is the one thing about my ZX that I dislike the most. I would like to have somthing "curvier" and more modern. Maybe similar to the 90-96 300zx dash. Or maybe something like some porsche's (sp?) had where the guage pod was tied in to a tilt column and moved up and down with it. Anyone have thoughts?

Guest jdllaugh

A dash is basically a padded box that hangs in the front of the passenger compartment and is designed to hold your instruments and hide all that ugly wiring.

You can make the box out of various materials. A basic flat top/face panel out of aluminum, light-guage sheet steel or plywood is pretty easy. You can then leave it plain, paint it or cover the whole thing with foam padding and vinyl.

If you want interesting shapes and a futuristic look, you could build a dash out of fiberglass molded in just about any shape you like. You could also use foam and vinyl to create some interesting contours and shapes.

All it takes is work, time and creativity. ;)