HybridZ

Carb Repair Kit Question

I went the cheap option, and I guess this is what I get for doing it. Rather than forking over the money for zTherapy's rebuild kit, I thought I'd hit the jackpot when I found this NOS kit on ebay for ~$25. Clearly states it's for a '69 through 8/'70 240z... Man I'm set. I have a 2/'70 240z. Well, the thing comes, and suprise: it doesn't fit. I'm 99% sure my carbs are the original SU (1-3/4", 0.100in Main Jets). The carb kit looks like it's for 1.5", 0.090" main jets. So it's too small. I'm absolutely baffled. Can anyone shed light on this?

On a fun side note, I was re-doing the rear shocks, and bought a set of Monroe's a few weeks ago from Advanced Auto. Went to install them this past weekend, and found out they'd given me 2 different shocks. Went back to exchange the incorrect one, and was suprised to find out that it's not in their stock system anymore. Called Monroe, the shock is on backorder until late October. with my car up on jacks. FML. Might have found an alternate set at Olympus, but damn...

Side note #2: Anyone have a spare '79-'81 280zx e80-12 ignition module?

post-11698-087016700 1287141822_thumb.png

What's wrong with your carbs in particular? One thing I've noticed about these SUs is that those "rebuild kits" (I refer to them as gasket kits as that is all they are really good for) don't offer any parts that will actually FIX the problem.

Biggest thing I've found is that either the nozzel wears out (not the needle), or that the throttle shafts wear out.

Only cheap method I've found for fixing the throttle shaft issue is to tear the carb apart, measure the OD of the shaft, and ID of the steel bushing. Then I either braze weld or solder up the ends of the shaft where the hard chrome plating has worn off, and grind it back down to what I measured the ID to be on a lathe.

It works decently well. I didn't have any vacuum leaks on the throttle shaft for the 6 months I ran them.