HybridZ

LT1 / T56 in my Z Z32

1FASTKINGCAB

I have a LT1/T56 drive train to put in my Z32, I have already searched the internet and found DTS300's write up on several sites, I have already gutted the interior, and removed most of the unnecessary items from the engine bay. I have also cut a very large hole in the firewall for the huge T56 bell housing. My main question is how tight/close can the top of the trans be to top of the tunnel. and I cant tell but does the T56 shift lever come up in the center of the stock opening or does every thing fit better with the trans a little farther forward.

When I was running the T56 it pretty much came up in the stock location. Just be sure you can access the transmission bell housing bolts from underneath the car with a long extension and swivel socket. What you could do is put a long extension and swivel socket on the bell housing bolts and use that as a guide for your tunnel placement and just allow a few inches for manipulating. I was sure to allow for adequate room for removing the transmission.

When I was running the T56 it pretty much came up in the stock location. Just be sure you can access the transmission bell housing bolts from underneath the car with a long extension and swivel socket. What you could do is put a long extension and swivel socket on the bell housing bolts and use that as a guide for your tunnel placement and just allow a few inches for manipulating. I was sure to allow for adequate room for removing the transmission.

what did you do with the heater box and control unit? did your have automatic HVAC or the base manual HVAC?

I had the Autoair. I actually removed it from the car (mine wasn't intended to be a DD). If you were wanting to try and salvage it you would probably need to convert it to the manual air and use a lower profile system out of a smaller car or use one of the vintage air units... I know they make some lower profile units. If you want A/C without too much hassle you probably need to keep the engine as far forward as possible so you can utilize your stock stuff. You might even think about lowering the front crossmember a touch too to gain that extra bit of room (keep in mind this could create bump steer). I would inspect the air boxes and see if you have any room to cut on them and get that extra room you might be looking for.

I've also enjoyed watching your hardbody conversion... neat project.