HybridZ

A Universal Gullwing/Lambo doors kit?

Guest Anonymous

Guest greimann

My first impression is this is going to be a kluged setup at best that will have functional and relibility problems from the start. A car's door and how it moves in relation the the body is THE most complex kinematics (moving geometry) found on a vehicle. We take it for granted, but look at how the door just clears the front fenders and closes nicely, and this is just on a simple hinge. Each vehicle would need to have its own hinge geometry. There can be no universal setup and I'm sure that Datsuns are way down the development list.

BTW the hinge shown is a scissor hinge. A gullwing is a door that is hinged from the roof.

Guest Anonymous

I have been working on hood scissor hinges for over a week on a 250 GTO and cannot find the proper "geometry". That door on that car cannot adequetely open in that manner to reach that position. The only practical application that I can see for that car door opening is "if" you were surrounded in a getaway car by police after robbing a bank and wanted to signal the authorities in a quick fashion that you were surrendering. Doors up!I surrender

IMHO it looks terrible on that car and I dont think it would look much better on our datsuns but hey to each his own you would definatly be different if you could get it to work. My suggestion would be to find some other way to make your car stand out custom fiberglass work etc....

Guest Anonymous

Well, I was skimming thru old posts and came across one from a month or two ago, and in the post, every used gullwing and lambo doors to describe the same thing. I thought this might help those people. Your all right though, this has to be the oddest thing I've seen. If I wanted gullwings, I'd buy a Delorean.

Guest Anonymous

Note they call them 'Vertical lift' doors and not gullwing. I'm sorry but that is funky looking IMHO. It doesn't look like it provides you much room to slide in without whacking your head on the bottom of the door, or sliding your face across it. Gross. Sorry, opinionated today (today? You mean always Lone) I guess, but man... :rolleyes:

As far as gullwing doors, that'd be a pretty good bunch of work to design the whole door frames and support in the roof. A person would IMHO nearly have to peel the roof back, build supports and then reskin it. Whew, makes me tarr'ed just thinking about it. :D '

Regards,

Lone