HybridZ

Air compressor size?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi,

just wondering what size air compressors do you guys recommend for painting an entire car. I was thinking about a 26 gallon one but don't know if it is large enough for the job. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

I thought it depended on the paint gun requirements. Different guns have different req's. I bought a paint gun recently that calls for 2hp, air consumption 6 cfm, and recommended pressure at 20-55 psi. This gun is advertized for automobile body and industrial use, and has a 1 quart size res. My compressor is 22 gal, 5hp, and 6.9 cfm at 40psi. Hope it works.

I am wondering about the HVLP guns. Can you paint a car with one of those. Supposedly a lot less waste occurs.

Steve

Yeah, you can probably get by using the minimum compressor size recommended by your gun's manufacturer, but bigger is almost ALWAYS better when it comes to air power. With a 30 gallon tank, you'll probably find that your compressor will be running continuously and will get quite hot.

Good luck, and have fun! Air tools are a blast, and make just about any repair job more enjoyable.

Guest Anonymous

I saw on TV (monster garage ) a guy painting a car with what looked like a gravity fed HVLP gun. He was not using a mask. What's UP with HVLP/ Do you not need a mask with HVLP

Steve

Guest Big Phil

While most conventional guns state that they will work with a small compressor, most guns require more cfm than a small 3hp 30 gallon compressor can provide. Normally a 5 hp 60 gallon compressor (12cfm @40psi) is the minimum size needed to paint properly. This is especially true when dealing with HVLP guns which require 12 to 20 cfm @ 40psi. HVLP guns are far more efficent but require more cfm than conventional guns to function properly.

Phil

Guest Big Phil

While HVLP guns dramatically reduce the amount of overspray ,the paint vapors are still toxic so a respirator should always be used. Most new paints a have Isocynates (very, very, very bad stuff) in the catalyst(active drying ingredient) so you need a fresh air system because respirator are ineffective.

Never ever,ever ever paint without at a respirator or fresh air system unless brain damage or death is desired.

Phil

Guest Big Phil

By the way if you don't have the proper equipment, sign up for an autobody/paint class at a local junior college and use their stuff. I am currently taking a free 2 month autobody course at a California junior college and use of the tools are included with the course . They have every tool you could ever want or need including HVLP guns, D/A sanders, long sanding boards, welders and a downdraft paint booth with a fresh air breathing system.

Phil

Originally posted by Big Phil:

They have every tool you could ever want or need including HVLP guns, D/A sanders, long sanding boards, welders and a downdraft paint booth with a fresh air breathing system.

Phil

!!DROOL!!

I wish I had a setup like that to play with when I painted mine. I was stuck using box fans blowing out my partially-opened garage door. It worked, but I'm pretty sure I sucked a bunch of airborne crap in along with the fresh air. Right now I'm entertaining myself by wet sanding my mistakes out. tongue.gif

Guest Anonymous

Even though the guy on Monster Garage was painting with no mask, I'm sure that was done for the 'shot' on TV and not how he paints everyday in a smaller booth. HVLP gun or not, breathing some of the fumes these catalyst paints put out will put you in the big monster garage in the sky if you breath them on a regular basis for long. :D

Regards,

Lone