HybridZ

Windshield molding trim-is it necessary

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Do I need to replace the stainless steel molding that fits into the rubber seal for the windshield? Someone told me that it is needed as a stiffener to protect against window popping out under stress. And if its necessary, how the heck do you get that part in without screwing up the rubber. This goes for the rear hatch also.

Steve

Originally posted by steve325:

...Someone told me that it is needed as a stiffener to protect against window popping out under stress....

weird.gif Man, I have never heard that before---that can't be serious. Having removed stainless trim, I can tell you it probably has NO supporting properties at all. Some guys run no trim and I have not heard one saying "...it just popped out on the freeway..." If that is true, then I have to be schooled and I want some proof if someone knows otherwise.

Getting the stuff back in is apparently a royal PITA. If you decide to do it, be very careful to not break the thin rubber strip. Hopefully someone who has put the stainless back in successfully will chime in.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I've heard this also

from what i've gathered just from talking to various 'zed friends' of mine - the rear hatch rubber isn't as important (i hope so too - cause my back hatch doesn't have the stripping!)

but what i've heard for the front metal stripping is that it helps stretch out the rubber and make it more firm..

I'd like to remove my front metal trim as well but am slightly wary as i've heard this from a couple sources now.. but never actually have heard of something go wrong..

maybe we've got some zed urban myths starting?

Actually i just *today* managed to mangle the brand-new, expensive and rather delicate window trim on the rear hatch of my '72 while attempting to replace the trim. It's a major, major, major PITA to replace, and I don't know how it can be done, by anyone, anytime, ever. Period. It just can't be done.

OK, I'm feeling better now. Whew. In the book "How to Restore your Datsun Z-Car" by Wick Humble, he says that you can leave out the trim if you wish, and even trim off the lips that hold it in place. I think that's the route I'll be taking.

Guest Anonymous

I've done this two ways, neither is easy. One way it to put the trim in the moulding before you put it on the car. That way is probably the easiest. The second is to do as you guys sound like you are doing and that is on the car. Both of these ways are made easier with lots of warm soapy water. If you are doing it on the car, something like a plastic knife or similar soft tool, to gently pull the rubber lip over the trim works well. I have seen guys soap up the rubber piece and then slide the front top piece in place in a matter of a few minutes. Get it mostly in place and then go back with a soft tool and gently pull the rubber lip over the trim in the few places that did not go in right. The biggest thing to remember is to go slow. The front piece has taken me a couple of hours to get in place and get it to look right. Rear is the same. Those corner pieces are another matter. Some windshield gaskets seem to hold those in better than others. May need to use a small amount of black ashesive on the back side of the trim piece to hold it in. Go slow and use lots of soapy water. Mark

I have yet to do it to my Z but I did do it on my Toy p/u which had a plastic/composite type insert. I used a plastic putty knife with good results, but in some spots had to use a small flat head screw driver with the sharp edges rounded off. I'm not looking forward to this on my Z. Hope it helped.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the information gentlemen. My 280Z is a color theme of Yellow paint and black trim. I am going to leave the trim off for now. If windows pop out so be it.

Steve