HybridZ

Coatings/Treatment for nuts and bolts...

Guest Zachb55

Guest Zachb55

well i have hundreds, if not thousands, of nuts, bolts, washers and other little goodies that i want to all have the same finish on, what are my choices, some of them are kindof rusty, so im taking them all in and im gonna sand blast them, but then i want to have them treated so they dont get all rusty again after i put them back in... i like the one treatment where it turns them a goldish color, i believed this to be galvanizing, but i was told differently twak.gif ... well help me out guys, im sure you know whats best...

Thanks in advance!

-Zach

One of the eaasier ways to refinish old nuts and bolts is to put them in a vibratory tumbler and polish them that way. However, they will rust as there is not protective fnish left on them. You could electroplate them or anodize them, but is it worth all the trouble? I find myself looking for stainless steel bolts to replace anything else when I'm at the hardware store. Easier, faster, etc...just a thought.

Davy

Guest greimann

The gold-ish color is from cad (cadmium) plating. Silver-ish color is from zinc, which is also known as galvanizing. But, I am also a big fan of using stainless fasteners wherever possible. They look great for years and years.

Guest Zachb55

Cadium plating was one that i was interested, i think theres someone who does it around here, i think that would look nice and from what i hear not too pricey, probably cheaper than buying new bolts, but for the ones im going to have to replace, stainless is certainly what ill go with, to bad you cant just take all your nuts and bolts to some place and drop them in some chemical bath and they come out as stainless pieces, just a thought, hmm oh well...

thanks for the help guys.

-Zach

Guest Anonymous

This usually works for the treatment of some nuts... It sorta works for me sometimes anyway... Note: used IN nut, not ON nuts. :D

nuttreatment.jpg

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

You can use an old hot rodders trick which is to paint the nuts and bolts with silver spray paint (or black). I have used this as a detailing method and it works pretty good, and lasts amazingly long. NOt sure what the seizing effect is however, but dont care as I used for attaching fenders and other sheet metal parts.

Steve

most goldish or yellow (or sometimes greenish if the plating tank is dirty) hardware store items are yellow zinc chromate. This is a pretty cheap, common electroplate process that has good long term corrosion resistance. If you like a bright metallic finish kinda like chrome then you can get clear zinc chromate, but it doesn't last as long as yellow. clear would look great in an engine compartment though. Make sure if some of your stuff is a high strength fastener that they run a heat treat process called "hydrogen relief" within one hour of any electroplate process on the parts or they will become very brittle.

In automotive applications most hardware needs an ANSI "severe duty" plating which yellow zink at minimum .000500 inch thick meets. average duty is .000200 inch minimum.

I believe Cadmium is usually a similar color to nickel, but I have no experience with cadmium.

I work in a plant with a large plating department so I can plate some parts for the car, but usually I just replace or paint the fasteners. if the shop you use forgets the hydrogen relief and you had your drive shaft bolts in there or something like that then I don't want to be around when you decide to mash the go pedal.

Perry

Guest mexkimo

I've seen home kits for nut and bolt treatment called black oxide kits. This is supposed to keep your stuff from rusting. It seems a lot simpler than galvanizing or anything else I've seen.