HybridZ

Big hole where floor used to be!!!

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

I broke out the tools last night and cut away the rusty driver's side floor from my 240. I also removed material from portions of the fire wall, trans tunnel and the back to get all the rust.

My first thought was to install one monolithic floor piece, with custom bends up the firewall, trans, etc. Now I'm thinking of welding on replacement strips to the firewell, etc., with flat bends at the bottom of each. Then I could take one, flat floor section, lay it onto those pieces and weld it in place. It's all going to be hidden anyway.

Finally, I would tack weld the sub-frame connector/rectangular tubing to the bottom of the new floor, up the back and connect to the rear sub-frame member.

Any drawbacks to this plan? Any words of caution or advice? I'm pretty terrified at this point.

Last night I had a dream of taking my girlfriend for a test drive. We hit a bump and she dropped through the floor like a James Bond ejection seat in reverse!!! :D

I used pans from MSA to replace my rusted floors, but I had a lot of damage in areas not covered by the replacement pans. Make sure you do one side at a time and have supports in place before you start cutting. Treat the metal and paint the inside of your frame rails! It’s hard work but the solid feel after you finish will put a smile on your face.

James the method you describe should work just fine. A bit of advice though. (yeah I've been there too, strange feeling but its not that bad)

Make sure you spend the time to get things to fit together well, specifically where you are welding. When you weld, either seam weld everything so that there are no gaps, or if you decided to spot weld, seal the crap out of the seam afterwards. Two panels close together like that will rust fast.

As far as structure goes, I wouldn't worry too much. If you are replacing the whole floor pan, I'd go with something slightly heavier than stock. Its worth your while to undercoat it, and paint the inside with something water reistant as well. Enjoy!