HybridZ

RB26 to 280zx stock tranny

lummusa

The L28 in my 81 280zx saw its best days before i bought it and i have been planning an rb26 build but im a college student and so time is an issue. I have searched the site a couple of times with various rb26 to _____ transmission trying to see what all i can find that it would mount smoothly to and at least last a few months. I found several useful topics but i didn't find the answer to my question.

i was wondering if the stock 5-speed would bolt up to the rb26 so i could get it back on the road? and complete the build eventually.

thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

Edited by lummusa

If you put the bellhousing off an RB FS5W71c on to it it will bolt up no problems. I have a 280ZX gearbox with an RB bellhousing on it behind an RB20DET in an R30 Skyline.

It won't take the power for very long but it'll work.

RB26+280zx trans= clenching your straws

Obviously if your going with an rb26 you want a fast powerful car. You don't mate a monster of an engine to an old tranny made for a less powerful car unless you want problems.

If you are on a time constraint and are going to be relying on this car to get you to school you may want to think twice before doing this swap unless you have a lot of money saved up.

Edited by jakeoster

i saw th thread where someone was gonna try the t56 have there been anymore news about that build bc i have one of those actually laying around in the barn. and if it works well with out much modification to the tunnel then i would be gravy.

oh BTW yall have a Merry Christmas.