HybridZ

Fuel sender rebuild

AkumaNoZeta

I got a new fuel tank with a new (to me) sender in it. My old sender has one of the wire prongs broken off it and I took the one out of the new tank and found that the small coils in it are loose and catching when you move the float up and down so I'm wondering if it would be good to cover the coils in epoxy and then sand it down to the copper so they don't move around anymore and have smooth action up and down, or would the fuel just dissolve the epoxy causing damage to the whole system?

Well, I got impatient and took the sender apart and epoxied what was the top side of the coils to the backing and reinstalled it upside-down cleaning the insulation coating off the other side and put it all back together. It works a lot smoother now, but I'm still not getting accurate readings with my ohm-meter. Better readings, but still gets into the K-ohm ranges. I'm thinking of taking some 600 grit to the coils to get them cleaner, already took sandpaper to the contact that travels across it.

Edit: I got a can of electrical cleaner from the parts store and sprayed it on there and retested it with the meter, I get good readings through the whole range now. My friend epoxied a fuel leak he had on a pressed in fitting in a factory Holley 600 from a Mustang that was given to him and he hasn't had any problems with it dissolving or anything so I felt like I could trust it in my gas tank.

Edited by Grim