HybridZ

Things to look for ?

MAYHEM

Evening all, I've been doing drive byes at this site for some time so I finally decided to join up. It looks like I might be getting a new toy to play with, a '73. It "LOOKS" clean from a walk around. But I'm going to looking closer at in the AM. Quick question. What are the things to look out for on these year models. I know the basic, but I know ALL cars of a certain year or model has a "OH!!! Crap I'll pass on that" damage/repair. I've mostly know GM,and Camaro '68-02 and Vette's and Nova and Chevelles. Any thoughts ?

Three things: rust, rust, and..uh...rust. That's three things.

Check the rocker panels, floors, battery tray area, frame rails, etc. If you see rust bubbling up in these areas or in totally conspicuous areas (on the surface of the car) then stay away. Not a good V8 candidate.

Davy

Originally posted by DavyZ:

Check the rocker panels, floors, battery tray area, frame rails, etc. If you see rust bubbling up in these areas or in totally conspicuous areas (on the surface of the car) then stay away. Not a good V8 candidate.

Davy

So your saying Any rust, period would be a bad candidate? frames and floor etc. ?

Thanks DavyZ ;)

No no. It seems nearly all Z's have some rust on them, but make sure that the one you pick does not have it in the critical areas. By that I mean structural areas, like the frame rails, unless you plan to tube frame the car and tub it. Battery box rust is no big deal unless you buy a car like Pete Paraska did; his site is EXCELLENT for information and modification: Pete's site

There is a lot of info here and on other sites like 240Z.com and Zcar.com Just don't tell them you are doing a V8 swap, or you'll find out why this site exists. :rolleyes:

Davy