HybridZ

upgrading suspension

Guest Anonymous

What exactly are you looking for as an end result? I've revamped quite a bit on my car but considering it's age,what's available now, and the fact it was in a million pieces anyway I figured I might as well get it over with!

In my case I swapped in all new urethane bushings from Energy Suspension, switched to adjustable coil overs from MikeSCCA at fonebooth.com , swapped on 5lug 4 wheel disk brakes also from Mike (Outlaw billet at all corners), swapped on 17X8 inch Konig 5.0 wheels and upgraded rubber. Struts are Tokico but I didn't go with their adjustable ones - I probably should have. I also did NOT cut down my strut housings which might have been a good idea.

Cost? icon_eek.gif

Tires in back are 245 45 Nitto drag radials, in front are 235 45 Nittos (possibly 225, I can't recall). I used Konig 5.0 wheels with +40mm (+30mm?)up front and +20mm in back (from memory but this is documented here in other posts). These wheels required thin spacers at all 4 corners to fit correctly. Brakes required an upgraded master cylinder and when vacuum is "correct" I've got some really awesome stopping power. Squeeks like heck when cold though icon_smile.gif

Diff mount is a solid piece from MSA. Steering coupler is also a solid plastic piece.

If you're bone stock I'd certainly do the urethane bushings with lot's of grease (mine hasn't squeaked yet). I'd upgrade the front brakes as well with your wallet being your guide. Tons of info here on brakes that I won't repeat yet again. Consider rear disks but at least put on fresh shoes if you keep the drums.

We could spend all day talking about wheels but I think you'll find a better selection if you go 5lug (sigh). If you've got wheels you like then don't sweat 5lug IMO.

If you've not yet torn your diff mount tie it down with steel cable per JTR or replace it with a solid unit but expect more noise from the solid unit.

Springs I changed to coil overs to get ride height adjustability and tire clearance - you may or may not needwant this. Figure coil overs are $400 + labor and some fabrication (welding required) on your part so it's not cheap. Spring rates up front were 225, 200 in back and seem fine so far on my car.

While you've got things apart changing the bushings check your struts - mine were toast! Lot's of opinions there to include sectioning the strut tubes on lowered vehicles - if your struts were shot then bottoming may be why and sectioning them could be in order. A few threads here explain this so a search will find lot's of info. I think I should've sectioned mine and might in the future if I find myself riding on the bumpstops.

I run a rear strut brace and will run a front one when I find one that fits with my motor - it may be simply a pipe with crushed ends icon_rolleyes.gif. I figure it can't hurt to tie the suspension together like this. If a cage can be considered part of the suspension I've done that too with about 8 points.

Lastly, I didn't swap out ball joints since they looked okay, I also started to but didn't swap out steering rack boots - I have some small tears I mine. I DID grease everything with good synthetic grease. I've got strut spacers under my front struts but I'm not sure they really do much. I did NOT do the JTR bumpsteer modification but might in the future.

I'd suggest starting with little stuff like bushings, replacing anything worn, and then consider upgraded brakes in the front at least.

P.s. Okay I have to ask - is there anything I should've done that I didn't? I can't imagine that I missed anything suspension related that I shoudl've done. Maybe tie rod ends and short steering arms but I don't think anything else is stock hardly icon_eek.gif

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]