HybridZ

CV cage question

wheelman

I'm in the process of assembling a pair of axles from the parts of 2 84 300ZX turbo and 2 92 Pathfinder axles.

I'll be using the center axle shaft from the Pathfinder and the CV ends from the 300ZX.

So here are the questions:

1. In the process of removing the birfield from one of the 300ZX axles I cracked the cage, how big a deal is this? It's cracked, not broken or bent at all.

2. If I need to replace it does anyone know where I can get just the cage? I could probably scare up another complete 300ZX axle but I'd rather not have to go that direction.

BTW: The method I finally used to separate the birfield from the axle involved a section of pipe similar in diameter to the axle and longer than the axle. Insert the axle into the pipe then drop the pipe on it's end from a few feet. I actually had to throw it at the floor rather than just drop it. Before I tried this method I tried using a drift and a 3lbs sledge, then an 8lbs sledge, hence the cracked cage.

I can post some pictures of the cage if it will help.

Wheelman