HybridZ

She Lives!!!

Adam87

Original post

Finally had time / money to get her running.

Tune up:plugs, wires, d cap, rotor, hoses, belts

Changed fluids - didn't get much oil out so I'm sure there is some thick oil still in there.

Going to have to clean that out(suggestions anyone)

Dropped fuel tank going to get it cleaned an relined

Cleaned fuel lines. Ran them to a 5gal gas can for the moment.

New fuel pump and injectors.

Started up fairly easy without much help from the gas pedal. Idled a little rough then smoothed out.

Shut it off, and it started right back up with one turn. Oil pressure was up around 70, then dropped to around 20 as it idled for a while.

Not bad considering it hasn't ran since 1989. :D

"Changed fluids - didn't get much oil out so I'm sure there is some thick oil still in there"

with old oil you will need to run your car for atleast 10 to 15 min or op temp so all the old oil can become liquid again.i bought a s130 last year which had the same problem and all i did was change the oil all it did was block up the oil pump screen...some old bloke i know advised me to immediatly put in the old oil and drive it for a while...kinda glad i did otherwise i would have killed the old girl

"Started up fairly easy without much help from the gas pedal. Idled a little rough then smoothed out"

you shouldnt need to use the gas pedal on startup unless you have carbs,the roughness would have come from the temp sensor/cold start mec...definatly normal

"Oil pressure was up around 70, then dropped to around 20 as it idled for a while."

by rule of thumbs the oil pressure should be up to 1/3 of gauge at idle and possibly over 2/3 at full noise

Edited by kciuq

"Changed fluids - didn't get much oil out so I'm sure there is some thick oil still in there"

with old oil you will need to run your car for atleast 10 to 15 min or op temp so all the old oil can become liquid again.i bought a s130 last year which had the same problem and all i did was change the oil all it did was block up the oil pump screen...some old bloke i know advised me to immediatly put in the old oil and drive it for a while...kinda glad i did otherwise i would have killed the old girl

"Started up fairly easy without much help from the gas pedal. Idled a little rough then smoothed out"

you shouldnt need to use the gas pedal on startup unless you have carbs,the roughness would have come from the temp sensor/cold start mec...definatly normal

"Oil pressure was up around 70, then dropped to around 20 as it idled for a while."

by rule of thumbs the oil pressure should be up to 1/3 of gauge at idle and possibly over 2/3 at full noise

Thank you for the info.

Does anyone recommend running diesel fuel in the oil to clean out the galleries/any build up?