HybridZ

Help needed with alternator and EZ wire harness

FJ 280z

I am using a EZ wire 21 circuit harness in my 77 280z. i have an FJ20 engine which uses the hitachi 23100-r2000 internally regulated alternator similar to the 280zx turbo. my question is, i have a wire from the harness that says alternator excite wire, and im unsure where to connect that to. the hitachi alternator has the S and L connections for signal and i forgot what the L stands for, and after doing some research i ran across this diagram that kinda made some sense as to how to hook up an alternator. (i understand this is for a GM but im guessing its similar)

SIaltwire01.gif

they are pretty much suggesting hooking up the L to the positive terminal on the coil, and then connecting the S or signal to the battery post, with a large gauge wire connecting to the starter solenoid, which is then connected to the positive terminal on the battery.

my question is: 1. where does the "alt excite" wire on the harness connect in all of this? (would that be hooked up to L with the diode suggested)

and 2. i should still hook up the E terminal, which is ground, to a ground on the vehicle correct? and should i leave that small diode or resistor looking thing on the E terminal?

thanks for your help!