HybridZ

Transmission fit

I have just installed a L28 with 4-spd transmission in my 1971 240-Z. While everything bolts up fine, I find that the shift lever hits the tunnel when the trans is in either first or third gear. When the inside rubber boot is installed the lever won't even go into gear. The easy fix is to cut out about 1/2" at the forward edge of the tunnel but I'd like to know why I am having this issue. I've tried substituting three different shift levers, each with a different profile, but I still have the clearance issue. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the 1971 240-Z had a slightly shorter drive line but that should not impact the dimension from the engine mount to the point the shift lever comes up through the tunnel. Anyone else have this same issue?

Shifter hole is set farther back on early Z's. I believe '72 is when they were moved forward.

Yes. The early cars have a slightly transmission. The shifter deisgn is the main difference. You are using the later "B" type trans it would seem. Cut the floor panel for the necessary clearence. The "B" trans is better.