HybridZ

wheel offset help.....

hello evryone, I have a 71 s30, I have all adjustable suspension from technotoy tuning, and some misc. suspension parts, I cant seem to understand how to measure wheel offset and back spacing, I'm also running the wide zg flares, can I get some advice on how to measure for the max wheel diameter, hoping to run 16x10 all around I just can't figure out the max wheel offset I'll be able to run on those wheels..... any advise is much appretiated, thanx again guys.... ooo and I don't mind camber but not alot were its not functional on the streets, and not too much wheel stretch looking to run a 40-45 tire want some meat on it for the future HP I want to put down, thanx again fellas

If you have a Square one of those metal L-Shaped rulers basically, Place one edge on the flat surface of the hub and measure from the hub to the closest suspension parts such as the strut, TC rod and Sway bar. Figure out an average between then compensate for the suspension being compressed etc. and that should be about how much backspacing you can run. Make sure you account for when the wheel is turned as well.

On a stock Z you have to run 4.5" of backspacing to clear the strut, I'm guessing with coilovers you should be able to run maybe 5" or 6" of backspacing. Also are you trying to get the wheels to fit under the stock fenders or are you going to be using flares?

Edited by 19762802+2

thank you for your advise, I wi be heading to my grandfathers house tomorrow to borrow a square, I've seen one hanging in his garage, lol.... and yess I'm planning on running the wide zg flares from zforce productions which are a lil wider than the regular zg flares

thank you for your advise, I wi be heading to my grandfathers house tomorrow to borrow a square, I've seen one hanging in his garage, lol.... and yess I'm planning on running the wide zg flares from zforce productions which are a lil wider than the regular zg flares

Just so you know 16x10's should fill out normal ZG flares and if you go with Wide ZG flares you won't fill them out as much they are designed for 11" and wider wheels. You could run a lower backspacing to fill them out like a 4" and then you will for sure clear all your suspension, but then you will have issues with scrub (search the site for that one) The more backspacing you have the more the wheel will tuck into the wheel well. The less backspacing you have the more it will stick out. Also are you planning on running street tires on the 16x10's? They are hard to find tires for the only tires I know of that are street tires 16's that wide are 265/45/16 Kumhos and those are pretty much DOT track tires. You could get some 15's and run some 275 DOT drag radials but thats another thing.

Anyways good luck with figuring everything out.

wut do u think about some 16x10.5 -32 .... thanx again for your help

Well if your refering to this car which has the same setup as you just described.

tumblr_lfs1pa0j6i1qeqth3o1_1280.jpg

I think it's a bad idea, reasons for not stretching tires and dropping a car that low have been beaten to death over and over and I don't feel like explaining why, you can search if you really care but in short its a bad idea and dangerous.

wo! that is dangerous, my buddy with an s2k rolls like that and he's always getting into trouble, I'm not looking to stretch the tire or even camber alot, I want some wide wheels with meat on the tire with little or no camber, the 260 in the pic doesn't seem to have the wide zg flares like I do, it looks like he has the regular zg flares, I'll take my measurements and try to figure it all out so I'm more functional than show but get the look I'm going for as well.... wish me luck lol...