HybridZ

280zx v8 wiring

Been on here awhile searching around and couldn't really find an answer, so I'll ask. I've got the v8 installed in my 80 280zx base model (no power windows, ect..) and am finally getting to the wiring. I'm installing aftermarket gauges, but if I do, how do I bypass the stock ones so that the car will start and run. I remember previously with the stock motor that the car wouldn't start without the gauge cluster plugged in. I was also needing to know if the stock lighting system would still operate without the gauge cluster, will the turnsignals and what-not still function? I'm planning on making a new engine harness with an aftermarket start button while still using the stock ignition for power, accessory, ect... Any help would be appreciated.

btw, it's a carbed 350 with a 700r4 w/stall and the speedo is an electric

Edited by Edz280zx

Which aftermarket gauges are you using?

I know with the 70-76(?) S30s, the ammeter was the bridge between the charge loop and the rest of the electrical system.

I would look at a wiring diagram. Painless also sells basic universal wiring kits, with up to, I think, 14 circuits. You could delete the existing wiring (keep your switches) and start fresh.