Anyhow, the car had a siezed engine, was missing some parts, and had a seriously hacked up and heat damaged ecu harness. Initially, my plan was to drop in a 351w & t5, but with working 7 10's at my lame seasonal job didn't really allow the extra time to go parts hunting. Now thinking about things a little more, I realized that I've got an extra f54 l28 short block, 5speed, and several heads also laying around, and some SU carbs, so in the interest of getting my Z car jollies off, it makes a little more sense to humpty dumpty it back together with what I've got. If I end up absolutely loving the car, I can always revisit the swap ideas.
Upon getting the car home, I also discovered that it had a thick mineral buildup on the exterior that I previously thought was just dust/dirt, so I set to work cleaning things up and assessing what I'd gotten myself into.