HybridZ

having some idle/starting problems with my car =(

lilj

this is an exact copy of what a posted on another Z forum cos hybridz was down when i wanted to post lol :P

so anyway here goes,

*82 280zx non turbo*

I recently bought a new flywheel (lightweight alum fidanza, and a spec stage 3 clutch..). I took the car to a shop and had the guy install them, however before installing he notified me that my transmission was shot to hell, so was the flywheel and clutch(the old ones). Everything was SCREWED. So I went about bought a used 100k mile transmission and gave it to him to complete the install.

Install is complete, guy calls me up..

'Your car won't stay on..'

I'm like.. '.. ok ..'

So I go and check it out, right he was (too bad he wasn't there to talk about it with, gone for the day.) So now the car will start, but it gives you shit about starting it up, and if you let off the gas itll go to a very low rpm and idle for a minute, or straight die. We bought starter fluid to help getting it started, worked to a degree.. eventually it started idling a bit higher, but it would proceed to die.

Anytime its idling, you push in the gas, it chokes.. you let it off, the rpms shoot up *dependant on how hard you gas it*

We came to the conclusion -fuel problem-. So we decide, lets relieve the pressure and try again. So we do it, no changes. Then we decide, how about we replace the fuel filter (i'm still on the first tank of gas the car has had in a year.. nice 93 octane chevron gas and some injector cleaner in it *not the cheap shit*). So replace the filter, little bit better, but nothing special, still gives me shit.

The starter fluid helps to the extent that, continuously spraying, the car idles perfect.. stop spraying *die*. So our conclusion is, its just not getting the fuel it needs, for whatever reason.

A few people first suggested grounds, fusable links, etc. However, I know the grounds are fine.. fusable links.. no idea, is this a possibility really? Some of my friends believe maybe the ECU died (as if maybe he forgot to disconnect the negative battery terminal and the ground on the starter/engine/tranny *one bolt* made and lost contact enough to short it out), or maybe the injectors are messed up. Also the cold start valve has been suggested, as well as the air idle valve. The sad thing is.. It ran perfectly fine previous to taking the car there. So I don't really see how shit could go wrong like that over the course of two days..?

If anyone has experienced any of these problems or has any suggestions.. I'm open to try anything really.

appretiate it..

thanks,

jon

ahh i wish someone could help me pinpoint the problem, or tell me a way i can figure out what it is..

the mechanic that installed my clutch/flywheel/tranny believes its the fuel pump, so i went ahead and ordered a walbro 255.

we'll see if this helps the problem, if not i guess its just replacing stuff until it runs correctly, costly but effective i suppose =/

going to clean the tank when i replace the pump, also replace my lines *or clean them* not too sure yet.

and then the next things i guess i'll go for are the FPR, CSV, AIV, and finally.. the ECU.

also going to do the fusable link conversion to actual fuses, saw it in a post somewhere around here, maybe that'll help me out some :D

latez,

-jon

I bought a car that was doing that once, it was an 81 turbo though and turned out to be just the hose that connects the j-pipe to the turbo was missing. I would check for vaccuum leaks around the AFM since that would cause the same problem on an N/A by allowing a lot of un-metered air in. The owner of that car, before I bought it, used a spray bottle jammed into a vaccuum hose on the intake to show me it would run. One squirt with the spray bottle and the engine would start and run sucking the rest of the gas out of the bottle itself =) With all of the air coming in behind the AFM, the computer wasn't seeing any air, and wasn't running the injectors wich is why the spray bottle on the intake trick worked.

mechanic called me this morning before work *while i was asleep* ..

called him back a few hours later and he said the car was running fine, didn't say he did anything.. just said he went out and started it and it ran..? lol. could i get any luckier? prob not.

the idle is a bit rough, but it appears i have an electrical problem.. when i sit there and idle the every once and a while i notice the volt meter shoot to 0 and the lights dim real bad. so i'm not sure if this is an alternator problem or just a short in some wires.. i'll drive it around some more and see what i can determine.

*wonders if the mechanic didn't do something stupid and realised it*

just happy its running hehe

nice thing is this gave me a reason to do the fuel pump, woot!

thanks for the input, i appretiate the help hehe

-jon