HybridZ

Using the S15's HLSD in a long nose R200

GuardianED

I've read a million threads on people trying to run the S15's helical type LSD in their R200's without success. This is due to the fact that our current output shafts are 29 spline 30mm, whereas the S15's HLSD uses a 30 spline 31mm.

The S15 HLSD's though are awesome - I had one in a 240SX race car - and cheap - can be found with the correct output shafts for around $550 shipped. Much more cost effective than a Quaife.

Here's one idea that I haven't seen anyone try; is there out there an adapter that goes from the 240SX output shaft - its a 6 hole in a triangle pattern - to 280ZX CV shafts or even to the stock stub axles? Instead of messing with spline counts and shaft diameters, why not try to bolt up the S15 shafts to our existing rear axles? Modern Motorsports has conversion kits to go from the existing Z output shafts to other modern CV setups; why not go from the 240SX bolt pattern?

I'd love your thoughts.

The 240sx output shaft connecter bit looks like this... its the one on the right.

http://importnut.net/240pics/LSDswap/DSC02077.JPG

Interesting read. I just want to get it straight then. So from the inside out, the parts go like so:

R200 with S15 LSD

S15 output flanges (3x2)

4 cylinder Pathy axle (3x2) EMPI part number 80-4703

Replacement wheel end CV of 6 cylinder Pathy axle part number 87-9096

stock wheel bearing

Am I missing something between the two pathy parts? Does the length match up to stock?

Thanks!

Interesting read. I just want to get it straight then. So from the inside out, the parts go like so:

R200 with S15 LSD

S15 output flanges (3x2)

4 cylinder Pathy axle (3x2) EMPI part number 80-4703

Replacement wheel end CV of 6 cylinder Pathy axle part number 87-9096

stock wheel bearing

Am I missing something between the two pathy parts? Does the length match up to stock?

Thanks!

No you are not missing anything - that is about it - you then need to have companion flange made for the S30 wheel end to the CV end of the pathy 6 cylinder. The length is just a little shorter than the 300zxt that people do but then there are those (include me) that find the 300zxt shafts on the short side are too long and bind up - and this is what lead me to all this work with the pathy axles in the first place.

Just to clear it up.

• R200 with S15 LSD - Check
  • S15 output flanges (3x2) - Check
  • 4 cylinder Pathy axle (3x2) EMPI part number 80-4703 - Check this a complete axles with the 3x2 inner bit.
  • Replacement wheel end CV of 6 cylinder Pathy axle part number 87-9096 - Check
  • A custom companion flange for the wheel bearing end - maybe someone should see if there is enough room just for a bolt on adaptor to go from the stock to the 5x1 bolt pattern. Results would be a complete bolt on solution

This will make an axle that is 395mm long when compressed. As the S30 has a short side and long side when you make your custom companion flange at the wheel bearing end just make the one on the long side a bit thicker to make the difference in the length requirement - this as has the bonus of not have a long or short side axle just the same axle on both side = make one spare one up if are a racer and take that to the track and it can be used on both side :)

The difference in the 300zxt shafts long to short is just under 1/2" ie 12mm is the actual number. So the long side companion flange can be 12mm thicker.

Does this help?