HybridZ

Vacume Signal Affects Auto Transmission?

Challenger

I had a vacume leak on one of the fittings on my intake manifold.

IMG_2616.JPG

Its the one pictured to the left of the brake booster tube.

I pulled off the metal tube and rubber connector that was on it and plugged the hole to see if my car would run any better (troubleshooting engine problems)

I took it for a drive and now it takes a long time to shift and I find myself cruising at 3000 rpm sometime doing say 30-35 mph.. It also seems to shift alot harder, alot crisper shifts. Does the auto transmission rely partially on a vacume signal to tell when to shift up, down, etc? I was having a hard time tracing where the metal line went and am kind of curious what it did...

Thanks

BTW this is on my 81 turbo automatic.

That hardline goes directly to the vacuum modulator.

If plugging the barb did no good, then there isn't a hole rubbed in the metal line or a bad diaphragm in the modulator.

A bad modulator will usually foul out spark plug number six and the car will smoke badly at idle or decel.

That hardline goes directly to the vacuum modulator.

If plugging the barb did no good, then there isn't a hole rubbed in the metal line or a bad diaphragm in the modulator.

A bad modulator will usually foul out spark plug number six and the car will smoke badly at idle or decel.

Do you mean the VCM? The thing attached to the afm? If so I did remove the lines from that. It went into the smaller fitting (coming out the side) on the left bung in the picture. Im talking about the larger fitting. A metal line (not the small ones that run along the side of the intake) goes down towards the transmission and into the trans tunnel.