HybridZ

Subaru STI Torsen Install

Dtsnlvrs

Well, this whole thing started when I decided to "upgrade" to a 4.11 diff a few years ago. Topic can be found here http://forums.hybrid...80-411-install/ . Now fast forward a few years, and I cannot find a R-180 LSD for less than 1200 bucks. After talking with John Coffey at MSA last year, I knew somthing was gonna be "up" very soon. Either OS Giiken was gonna make a 25 spline LSD or John was gonna manufacture 27 spline Stub axles so that we could use the Subi LSD units. Topic on Subi axles can be found here http://forums.hybrid..._1entry853707 . So I purchased a Torsen LSD for a Subaru STi off Ebay, and ordered a set of John's axles, and patiently waited for the FedEx guy. I will not bore you with the disassembly and reassembly of the diff, but rather, some things of note when doing this, and some cool pictures. If you really want to know how to disassemble a differential....buy a effing service manual!

New Torsen Carrier with my 4.11 ring gear and bearings installed

post-1708-12694826458371_thumb.jpg

Here is where it got real fun...Had to grind off a bit inside the housing to get the Torsen and 4.11 gear to clear

post-1708-12694828844343_thumb.jpg

post-1708-12694828894813_thumb.jpg

Still a very tight fit

post-1708-12694829721614_thumb.jpg

And she is in

post-1708-12694830947922_thumb.jpg

Mind you..this is not the prefered method to set backlash

post-1708-12694832730682_thumb.jpg

After setting the backlash, I buttoned it up, and set it aside, I had more prep work to do before installing my "new" LSD. I had to clean and assemble my CV axles to the new stubs, and install a R/T mount with just a pinion snubber.

R/T mount with pinion snubber..notice I kept the fuel line clamp setup..just moved it aft

post-1708-1269483529146_thumb.jpg

Wolfcreek Racing CV kit mated to Betamotorsports 27 spline R-180 Stub Axles

post-1708-12694836944324_thumb.jpg

The right way to safety rotating parts

post-1708-12694838116336_thumb.jpg

post-1708-12694839536196_thumb.jpg

Diff installed

post-1708-1269484059656_thumb.jpg

And thats that. The CV / stub axle slid right into the subi LSD and with a slight bump...were perfectly registered. Bolt up the outer CV to the other adapter, and it is done. Some admin notes though...

1. When installing a Subi Torsen into an exhisting R180..you "may" have to grind on the housing to get it to clear.blink.gif

2. Do not tighten the front diff mount nut or the two bolts until the aft mount is tight. This will relieve any preload on the mustache bar.wink.gif

3. Re-use your diffs old bearings unless they are garbage...when installing new ones...you must compute the shimming for the preload...what a PITAblink.gif

4. R/T mounts are worth their weight in GOLDbiggrin.gif

5. Red locktight is your best friend

Thats it for now...driving impressions once the weatehr clears up.cool.gif

Edited by Dtsnlvrs

why did you just install the Subi LSD instead of swapping in the guts into the nissan R180?

I think you are asking why I did not just install the entire subi diff. Well, I have a 4.11 gearset that works perfectly with my tire size and trans for Auto-X, and I could get a Torsen lsd unit alone for about half the price af a full diff.

Well thw weather is beautiful today, so I took it for a spin. First thing I noticed, no more one wheel spin when leaving the neighborhood. Second thing I noticed, with the R/T snubber mount, I get a little more noise in the cabin. It is to be expected as I now have the diff "riding" on poly all around. I did notice a very slight gear whine on drive...probably normal gear noise amplified by the poly snubber. So far I love it biggrin.gif

yeehh sorry I meant why didnt you install the whole Subaru differential?!

Ive been able to find differentials for $350 shipped which isnt bad

Because he wanted the 4.11 ratio (which he already had), and the later STIs diffs only have 3.54 and 3.9 with Torsens (US spec models anyway...not sure what they came with in other markets).

Edited by mrcheeze36

• 1 year later...