HybridZ

FACTORY SENSE WIRE CS144 ALTERNATOR

I just installed the delco cs144 alternator and the installation was no problem, but i do have 1 question, do i have to use my old factory sense wire t connection, are can i just bypass that and use the sense thats on my cs144 and wire it to my main fuse block or batt,

this is on my 72 240z.

I just installed the delco cs144 alternator and the installation was no problem, but i do have 1 question, do i have to use my old factory sense wire t connection, are can i just bypass that and use the sense thats on my cs144 and wire it to my main fuse block or batt,

this is on my 72 240z.

The CS144 should only need two wires. One light and one heavy gauge. The lighter one goes to a small fuse and has power on it in the key on position for alternator field excitation. The heavier one goes to the battery though a fuse or fusible link. The return for both of these wires/circuits is back through the case and engine. Best to have a heavy gauge wire from the case of the alternator back to the negative post of the battery. Then there is no question about the ground path to the negative post of the battery. Also a wire should go from the battery negative post to the body for accessories. Hope this answers the questions.

Oz,

It depends on what regulator you have in it as far as what wires you need for alternator operation. At a minimum, you need the excite wire and the main wire. It is strongly suggested that you install the alternator using heavier gauge wire (at least 4ga) for both positive and negative. The alternator is capable of burning up the existing wiring.

I have a post on this, check it out, I created a wiring diagram, and included pics of the install. There are other posts as well, that document various aspects of the upgrade.

rejracers charging system upgrade