HybridZ

no more clutch

240devilz

I everyone, I have a little problem with my 240z 1971 . the car is not at my house and the weather keep me home...so I need help to know what I need to replace this: the car start when on neutral and does not start when gear is engage. when I try to start the z on first gear the car want to go forward and do not start. when the car is running I cannot engage any gear as if I had no more clutch pedal.I'm not sure..it is the slave cylinder or something beetween the pedal and the booster? help me and sorry for my english i'm from Québec. Thanks everyone!

Bonjour Monsieur,

There is no booster in the clutch system. There is a clutch master cylinder, and a clutch slave cylinder, with a metal line in between.

To check out the system:

1. check the fluid level in the system. Bleed it as necessary.

2. Check the adjustments on the pedal per: Atlantic Z Clutch freeplay page.

3. Adjust the slave cylinder if necessary.

The system can leak at either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder ends. Inspect the clutch master cylinder by looking up where the rod from the clutch pedal goes into the clutch master cylinder. If you see signs of leakage, the clutch master is leaking. Check the clutch slave cylinder by pulling back the dust boot and looking for signs of excessive leaking. Note that during normal operation (over the years) some fluid will seep past and form small amounts of sledge at the end of the piston travel. do not be concerned with small amounts of sledge. Do be concerned with fresh fluid, which is a result of a large leak.

J'espère que vous le faire réparer,

There are a few things you need to check. Check the clutch master cylinder, Slave cylinder and clutch hose for leaks. If the clutch was working fine before and just all of the sudden stopped worked, I think its a hydraulic problem. Check each part for a leak. The clutch mastercylinder will leak inside the car, so check the clutch mastercylinder rod coming through the firewall for leaks. If the slave cylinder hose is wet, it is leaking so replace it.

I also found a link which has the instructions from the FSM:

http://www.zcar.com/70-83_tech_discussion_forum/adjusting_clutch_slave_cylinder_240z_654914.0.html

Lastly, you NEED to get your hands on a factory service manual. Download the service manual from Xenon s30

Get the 1972 manual, the clutch system did not change between 71 and 72.

I would agree with Dexter, it's most likely a hydraulic issue.