HybridZ

RPM Tach upgrade with Halo RING,

So a few years back I bought a Pertronix ignitor for my 72 Datsun. Needless to say I wasnt aware it was going to fry my current tach. So after figuring this out the hard way i decided to use an autometer 4" tach that i had laying around and retro fit it using the stock metal bracket and black plastic eyelid thing. I then relized i lost my turn signal so i retrofitted them with blue leds, by my shifter. I also relized that i had 1/2 of an inch all around my my tach that I would have to fill a void. So I decided to put a custom halo ring around my tach. heres a video in how i did the halo ring.

I used 2 10mm blue led for the ring, 2 blue 10mm leds for the gauge light and a 5mm hi bright green for the needle. Using a online resitor calculator i figured out wheat resitors to sauter on the positive leads on the leds so the 12 volt wont fry them. Here are some pics, take in some consideration that they are bright as hell at night, and my cameras flash throws a glare. So I figure i would post to show some options and see what other people thought. Total time 8 hrs to finish.post-19467-002019600 1308098409_thumb.jpg post-19467-046212200 1308098489_thumb.jpg

post-19467-065550300 1308098549_thumb.jpg

post-19467-046212200 1308098489_thumb.jpg

If any questions please write back and i will anwer any concers or post more pics.

To be honest... It looks out of place. You have one side and not the other. The light does not seem to be fluid in the ring ( i.e. it does not fill up the ring.) It does not go all of the way around the tach. I would suggest doing something to make it look like a better finished product.

Having done some pull apart DIY angel eyes on previous cars I highly highly reccomend going with CCFL over LED rings. LED rings never glow all the way out. You should be able to buy a cheap cheap CCFL ring online and that will give you the lighting you need all the way around consistently.

Made me even think that instead of running the LED from the back like some say just do a CCFL ring around the back and you will get AMAZING lighting through the gauge. Light will be equal and bright.

Having done some pull apart DIY angel eyes on previous cars I highly highly reccomend going with CCFL over LED rings. LED rings never glow all the way out. You should be able to buy a cheap cheap CCFL ring online and that will give you the lighting you need all the way around consistently.

Made me even think that instead of running the LED from the back like some say just do a CCFL ring around the back and you will get AMAZING lighting through the gauge. Light will be equal and bright.

He's right, when it comes to Halos, CCFL is the way to go.

I personally prefer the look of the stock gauges, but if you're happy with it, keep it. If not, try to find a gauge that fits a little better. It looks sorta... crooked.

The angle of the camera when the picture was taken, gives it the optical illusion that its crocked sideways a little. I used leds because its what I had plus their last a long time and are cheap. These pictures were taken during the day and the light doesnt look fluent throughout the ring, but at night the ring is completley solid ice blue. I will check into ccfl when I get a chance. This was just a poor mans tinkering fix to a simple problem. I appreciate all the feed back thanks. DATSUNZMAN04 :2thumbs: