HybridZ

LT1 K&N Intake and Ref Station expirences

Today I took my 77 280z with a LT1 to the ref station for the first time, and learned that I need to use a CARB approved air cleaner instead of the K&N cone I shoved onto the end of the intake elbow. Does anyone have any experience with CARB approved LT1 intakes? It looks likes K&N is the only company selling one, and I'm wondering if it would actually fit under the hood?

Other than that my experience with the ref station was very positive. As people say, they are very knowledgeable and helpful, and will show you exactly what is causing an issue. If anyone else is working on a smog legal swap i HIGHLY RECOMMEND you check the EO numbers on the BAR website, to make sure they are compatible for your vehicle. It turns out the magnaflow CARB approved cats I got from Summit are only legal for trucks. If anyone wants to know more about the ref process feel free to PM me.

A few other notes about my ref expirence:

-They didn't appear to check the engine VIN #, or have a problem with me using a caprice motor with a manual tranny (I programmed the computer for a m/t)

-They will connect your car to a snap-on scanner, so make sure you have your diagnostic port working and arn't throwing any codes

-They don't have a lift to search around underneath your car, they just use a mirror to check the EO#'s on your carbs and a mirror

-Make sure your exhaust is as close to stock as possible, especially up until the cats. They let me pass with a Y pipe and single exhaust only bc the Y was after the cats and right in front of the muffler (caprices originally had dual exhaust).

Palo Alto, Ca. I used to live in Mountain View, Ca, actually grew up in Cali in the 60's and 70's before it became such an overpriced, over taxed mess! Are the smog Nazi's very tough on you? Sounds like you have a nice little ride.

You must have said that the LT-1 engine was out of a 1996 GM. If that is the baseline they are testing for then O2 sensors need to be installed front and rear of CAT converters. For CARB approved air cleaner go to the junk yard and get an intake system + MAP sensor off of a 1994-1996 LT-1 equipped vehicle and install same. Tell them it came stock on donor vehicle. The looking for CARB approved accessories ignores what is really coming out of the tailpipe which is the most certain test that can be performed. An LT-1 in proper tune should come out with NO measurable emissions!

1975 and older vehicles are EXEMPT from smog regulations. A 240 or 260Z is a better starting point for folks in California.

1975 and older vehicles are EXEMPT from smog regulations. A 240 or 260Z is a better starting point for folks in California.

Haha yes, I've learned that the hard way. Before i knew what i was getting into $200 for a 280z just seemed too good to pass up...

I did tell him it was a 1995.. many.. many times. I'm a little skeptical because he kept trying to use a OBDII scan adapter, and then told me I had a problem with the diagnostic port. I guess I need to hook up power to the port, although I've been running tunercat on it no problem with just data and ground.

An LT-1 in proper tune should come out with NO measurable emissions!

Something is going on with my engine. It smells real strong and the emissions were off the charts, although the a/f ratio was fine. I think I may have burned out my cats trying to solve a misfiring problem I had earlier, but i'm still not sure if that'd be enough to make the smog as bad as it is. Also my EGR seems to only open for a moment when I accelerate from idle, and never when I'm cruising which is suspicious. Any ideas what could be causing that?

Sounds as though it is running too rich. Need to check both unregulated and regulated fuel pressure. Then the injectors need to be tested for proper operation. If there was an ignition miss that may be the product of the Opti Spark distributor or coil for same. Not certain about tunercat but may need to lean out the fuel map in same.

Not quite true. They are supposed to have any smog equipment in place. The cars are exempt from testing.

Davy

Glad I dont live in Cali... I have a stock air inlet system minus the filter but want to swap to the K&N cone. I have to find one that will fit directly onto the intake since I am running speed density.

Do you think there is room for the stock filter in there too?

• 3 weeks later...

Since you're doing the exact same swap as me, and practically in the same city, perhaps you can help me out. I just got off the phone with the ref this morning and got most of the information I need, but I was wondering what you did about the headers. Did you manage to find some CARB-legal block huggers?

Also wondering if you could mention any other big snags you hit. Any issues with the evap system or ABS sensors? Did you have to modify your fuel tank to accommodate any LT1 sensors? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

-kito