HybridZ

transmission won't go into 3rd

It's my friend's car. It'll start, shift into first and second but has trouble getting into 3rd. Where should I look for a free manual for 1996 mazda mx-6. The Boyd's transmission shop here in Brunswick, GA wouldn't even look at the car unless he had 2500$ in hand. Sounds like a big crook to me. Any help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

It's my friend's car. It'll start, shift into first and second but has trouble getting into 3rd. Where should I look for a free manual for 1996 mazda mx-6. The Boyd's transmission shop here in Brunswick, GA wouldn't even look at the car unless he had 2500$ in hand. Sounds like a big crook to me. Any help is appreciated.

If its a stick shift it could be synchro(s). when shifting from 2nd to third put the clutch in, pull it out of gear, clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, shift. if it goes the synchro's need servicing but that would likely mean rebuilt tranny or cheaper, junk yard.

If its an auto theres something broke that you cant fix and you need a real mechanic. AAMCO will give you a free estimate