HybridZ

Pyrometer installation help

rayaapp2

I did a search and came up with zilch. Nothing on Hybridz or Google.

My pyro is on the way. Typically Im seeing the diesel guys install them just before the turbo on the header itself. This seems like he logical spot to put it.

I havent seen the instructions yet, but most of the non-diesel people are installing them on the downpipe. When I did my search I specifically looked for RB25det pyro installs and came up with nothing.

The reason I ask at all is that i have opted for a pyrometer based cool down timer rather than the Apexi piece of junk counting timer.

Does my logic make sense that I should be installing the pyro in the header/exhaust manifold and not in the downpipe?

Thanks for the input guys

Ray

The pyro goes in before the turbo to get the correct reading. Putting it after the turbo would be pointless and would give you a incorrect reading. All the heat is before the turbo.

I know with my diesel that after the turbo it can read as much as 300 degrees difference

That is what I keep reading on the diesel forums.

That makes total sense to me.

I downloaded the autometer instructions and they have a 200* drop warning for that type of install.

"For turbo engines, remove the exhaust manifold and install the probe 1-2 inches from the cylinder head. If the exhaust manifold

can not be removed, install the probe 1-2 inches after the turbo exhaust outlet (Exhaust gas temps could drop over 200 ÌŠ when

installing after the turbo). CLEAN ALL METAL FILINGS out of the exhaust manifold. Metal filings will damage the turbo impellor

if they go through the turbo." AutoMeter 6144 Instruction Manual

At this point Im thinking it would not be a half bad idea to drill the turbine housing where the exhaust enters with a 1/8" NPT and install the probe there. Installing the probe on a single cylinder or just 3 cylinders on the exhaust manifold in theory should give me the desired reading, but since Im using the pyro to control a turbo timing Im thinking it should be on the turbine housing itself.

The next issue is whether I have to drill that 1/8" NPT hole in the manifold or the turbine housing it still has to be drilled and tapped into cast iron. I dont think I have the tools I need to do this. I have a 1/8" NPT tap, but I suspect the cast iron may kill that. At least Ive not had good luck in the past tapping cast iron stuff. Any suggestions or should I just swing down to a machine shop. Im not keen of the idea of using a stainless strap as outlined as option 2 in the Autometer instructions. Sounds like an exhaust leak waiting to happen.

Ray

Edited by rayaapp2

rb25det-3.jpg

Check the Pyro on this turbo. That is what Im thinking. I corresponded with a friend and IF I read his email correctly it sounded like drilling the center of the manifold right into the spliter/divider of the OE exhaust manifold flange would give me a good average reading and prevent direct exposure to exhaust pulses.

I emailed him back to verify, but thought I would check here as well.

Ray A.

Thats a good spot for sure... only reason I've heard people put it right after the turbo is in case the sensor breaks (not sure how often, or ever this happens) it wont destroy the turbine blades on your turbo. For what its worth putting it after the turbo will show lower overall temps but it will still be able to gauge a difference in temp so it still has functionality.