HybridZ

EZ Wire 21 circuit

BelAir55

Hi and new to this site. I'm wiring a 55 chevy for a friend and having trouble with the dome light. The white wire marked "dome light" has no current showing with the test light. The fuse for the dome light is "hot" on both sides with the key in the off position. I've taken the fuse box off the firewall and checked from the back side and the wire seems to be "lower" in the box on the back side than the fuse for the dome light on the front side. Not quite sure whats going on here. Got any suggestions? Have no luck getting ANYONE (that is alive) to answer the phone in tech or sales. Terrible customer service. Thanks in advance.

The dome light wire is hot all the time when the battery is connected and its fuse is in place. It goes to one side of the dome lamp. The other side of the lamp goes to the door open/closed switch. When either door is open the switch provides a ground to light the dome lamp. The door switches can be paralleled such that either or all can light the dome lamp.

The dome light wire is hot all the time when the battery is connected and its fuse is in place. It goes to one side of the dome lamp. The other side of the lamp goes to the door open/closed switch. When either door is open the switch provides a ground to light the dome lamp. The door switches can be paralleled such that either or all can light the dome lamp.

Thanks rsicard for the response. I must have a break in the wire somewhere because there is no current in the white wire marked "dome light". I'll have to probe the wire and see were it may be broken. If the wire had current and dome light did not work, then I would think it would be a bad switch. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

The white wire is the ground side of the circuit, it provides a ground to the bulb when the door is open.

The hot side of the dome light is a constant 12V, IIRC it's an orange wire in the EZ wire kit.

So to break it down, the hot dome light wire goes directly from the fuse box to the dome light bulb, and the white wire is connected to the door switches. I believe the EZ wire kit has you connect the door switches to the fuse box/central electrical panel, where both dome light wires run from there. At least that's how I recall the EZ wire kit I used in a customer's car was laid out.

Edited by Six_Shooter