HybridZ

Trouble setting timing in MS2

azZdriver

Ok I have been trying to set the timing. I believe I have MS2 set to read ~60 degrees BTDC. I am getting backfires and some popping, think from the intake manifold. In order to get exact timing I am using a timing light and trying to adjust my Trigger Angle/Offset to get MS2's led light to match the timing light. Is this the best way to go about setting the timing? I attached screenshots of my settings. Timing 1 + 2 or my settings, and then there is my Timing Advance Table.

Also, would it be a good idea to just set a fixed timing advance of IDK, 15 degrees to get her to start? Then mess with the timing table later.

post-3498-016626800 1313190197_thumb.jpg

post-3498-003443500 1313190220_thumb.jpg

post-3498-059436700 1313190321_thumb.jpg

Edited by azZdriver

Yes just go to trigger offset and check your timing to what the trigger offset reads. Adjust accordingly. Then you can make your timing table up correctly. No need to just set it at 15 across the board.

If at sometime you don't trust someone with your car. You can change the timing to 20 and decrease it from there. Burn that table in megasquirt lol No worries of someone blowing the engine or getting caught speeding after you do that.

lol good idea but I don't let anyone borrow my car. Nobody that has ever need to borrow my car could drive stick anyway, kinda nice. Anyway, I'm using the Trigger Wizard, but it's stuck at an advance of 5 degrees, although the Timing for Advance degrees is set for 10, since 10 is easier to set at (since it is labeled, but not at 5). It's also set at fixed timing. Why can't I get Trigger Wizard's advance to either 0 or 10?

Well I just adjusted it without the Trigger Wizard seems to be spot on with a 68 degree advance. How close does this need to be? I'd guess it's close to about +/- .5 degree, should be good enough? I just marked nail polish on 0 and on the trigger and they seem to match perfect.

I should mention that other people have had problems with the Trigger Wizard, so I just set the Advance to be Fixed at 0, and then adjusted the offset until they matched.

Edited by azZdriver