HybridZ

How much of the strut tube is filled?

Yeah so.

As we all know, this is what a typical 280zx strut looks like. I'm going to be using s30 struts, but the picture is just for the idea.

23284290235_large.jpg

Obviously, the shiny damper part retracts into the strut tube.

What I want to know, is, how much of the strut tube is filled with oil/gas/damper stuff, and how much is just free empty space?

Like, how much room do I have at the bottom of the strut to cut off?

This guy cut what looks like about six inches from the bottom:

img_5889.jpg

.....and I'm wanting to cut off a little less of the strut, so I have a longer portion of strut at the bottom.

I just don't want to be cutting away and have the damn thing blow up and shoot oil/whatever all over me.

Thanks!

Edited by ComicArtist

Sweet! Didn't know that. This coilover conversion will be easier than I thought then.

Just a question..... I'm doing a coilover conversion by welding bottom coilover mounts to the stock strut tube.

Are pillowball mount tophats necessary for a conversion of this type or can I use my stock tophats?

Did exactly what you are doing about 10 years ago and had a top spring seat custom machined to fit into the top stock strut mount and to ride on the stock steering bearing. The aluminum seat I had made is compatable with 2-1/2 inch springs. Switched that assembly out for EMI camber plate last year because I was pushing bad on the autox. If you get the DP camber plate, a 2-1/2 spring seat (is that what you mean by a top hat?) comes on the camber plate. So, you only have to source the threaded collar and bottom spring seat. The DP includes upper seat, bearing and replaces the top insulator-all in one piece. Check it out on betamotorsport.com. If they don't list the DP, check out the EMI camber plate they are pretty much the exact same part. You just bolt the top of your strut into the camber plate assembly and you are ready to go. I'd love to sell off my little spring seats cheap (they are really sweet), but you'd be better off to get the DP plates instead so you can have that camber. EMI and DP camber plates are basically the same design, but they are by different manufacturers and are different colors.

Are your struts just threaded rods like the oem or are do the have a swivel ball at the end? If they're like the oem, then you shouldn't need a special hat, it's just a seat for the spring with a hole that the rod goes through. Again, basically the same as oem, just a different diameter for the new springs. You shouldn't have to custom make the hats, there are tons of them out there, with or without the oem isolator, it's a pretty generic part.

!BToNT)!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-C4EjlLlzVVHBKJcLDiWo!~~_35.JPG

These are the coils I'm going to be running. I'm pretty sure the fronts have pillowball uppers in their camber plates but I should just be able to remove the plates and run an oem style tophat right?

I figure I'm just going to have to see them once they come in to figure it out. Should be interesting.