HybridZ

MS2 timing

azZdriver

So I am trying to figure out why my car won't start. In the MS2 documentation it states:

"MS2-Extra can be triggered from the negative terminal of the coil, just like MS1-Extra , as long as MS-II is not being used to control the ignition timing. However, if you are controlling the ignition timing, then the tach signal must be fixed with respect to the crank position (not vary with the advance timing like the coil signal) "

I have my timing set and a fixed advance. Will I not be able to vary my advance singe I am firing the coil directly? This shouldn't keep my car from running though.

Ok that makes sense now, thanks.

Yes I have fuel, spark, and my rpm's are showing ~200 while cranking and my timing is set. I do not have a TPS sensor installed, so I am looking at how to install the 240sx TPS on the stock throttle body right now.

Yeah I realize you don't need the TPS, just am not sure where else to go with my car, so figured I'd clean up the TB and get the sensor mounted, since I have it. Is there something major I am missing? I tried squirting starter fluid down the intake while cranking, and got nothing. So must have something wrong with the timing still ?

Did you ever post your .msq?

It does sound like a spark problem, do you have spark at the coil? plugs? It looks like it's in about the right spot with a timing light?

I will post my .msq up tonight, I'm at work right now. There is spark, but ironically now that the timing is set there isn't any back firing. Also tonight I will double check my coil is good, last time it showed a good resistance but that was a few weeks back. The spark plugs are brand new and covered in fuel, so I doubt it's a fuel problem unless there's way too much getting injected.

When I set my timing I found TDC by looking at my dizzy, but today when the valve cover was removed, it seems that the dizzy is incorrectly installed. When the dizzy is pointing to cylinder 6, cylinder one is in it's compression stroke. Gotta clean up my valve cover, and fix the dizzy.

• 2 weeks later...

i did the exact same thing with the dizzy shaft as well even though i made sure to install it right when i rebulit the engine. as for the sensor i ghettorigged it by cutting off the ears on the old tps and drilling holes and bolting them on the new tps. looks bad, works good.

marcus