HybridZ

speedometer cable leak

J240ZTurbo

Hi, I had a little leak on my 240z where the speedometer cable screws into the tranny, I just got a new set of those o-rings from msa, but I just can figured this out they just dont fit properly they are too big and the center o-ring won't go inside, has anyone here had the same problem?

Edited by J240ZTurbo

One is an oil seal and one is an o-ring. You need to take the speedo pinion apart to change the seal. Punch out the tiny split pin, slide the gear and shaft out, and pull the old oil seal out, and shove the new oil seal in. Make sure you put the seal in facing the right way. I used a drill bit larger than the shaft to remove the old seal.

By hand, put the bit into the housing as if to drill it out. Twist it by hand so that it bites into the old seal. When it has a good bite, draw it out.

Edited by cygnusx1

Looks right. The leak is not in the cable. It's in the speedo pinion. Slide it out from the trans and change the seal and the o-ring.

O-ring is visible here. Seal is down inside.

SpeedoDrive-r.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1