HybridZ

Had spark, and now I don't

azZdriver

I had spark, I took my valve cover off and saw that the dizzy cap was not pointing to cylinder one's spark plug wire when in its compression stroke, so I rewired the spark plugs. I must have messed something up though, now I have no spark. Been working on it for a few days now, not sure what to check. The coil tests good, and is new. Using JimStim, I believe MS2 to be sending the signal for spark, I connected a wire from IGN on the screw terminal and touched it to IGN 1, and the LED blinks. What should I check next?

You had spark, You saw that the dist cap was not pointing to cylinder ones spark plug wire. So you took off the Valve cover? HUH??. You don't have to pull the valve cover, to check for the engine to be on the compression stroke.

Are you saying that the Distributor Rotor was not pointing to the number one spark plug terminal, in the dist cap?.

If you had spark were you checking this?. Is your engine not running correctly or not running at all?.

When I set the timing, I found TDC on compression stroke for cylinder 1 by looking where the dizzy was pointing. It did not match up with both valves being closed, as was revealed after removing my valve cover. The car has not started, but had spark before. I used a timing light to set the timing the first time. After I got my valve cover back on and tried to dial in the timing again, now there is no spark.

Take the coil wire itself and put a spark plug in the end and ground it to the engine block. Check for it to spark. Once in a great while the dizzy will be so far out of timing that it is too far from any post so the sopark will not jump the gap when the coil fires and it seems like there is no spark. Eliminating the cap and rotor from the equation by using a spark plug directly from the coil you can make sure you rule out this as a possibility.

Take the coil wire itself and put a spark plug in the end and ground it to the engine block. Check for it to spark. Once in a great while the dizzy will be so far out of timing that it is too far from any post so the sopark will not jump the gap when the coil fires and it seems like there is no spark. Eliminating the cap and rotor from the equation by using a spark plug directly from the coil you can make sure you rule out this as a possibility.

Moby, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I am not getting spark when connected to the dizzy either. Is there a way to test the BIP373 coil driver? If it were bad the JimStim shouldn't show ignition. So that is probably not the problem.