HybridZ

Questions and problems trans swap

cuzak901

Hey haven't posted in a while but i read often. I did a 280yz project 3years ago and its great.

Now to the point. I just removed my 4 speed transmission that was bolted to an N42 block L28 and put in a 5 speed from a pick'n'pull, 1980 280xz I believe, now I used the clutch that was already on the car because it was still good and had a bigger contact surface then the one I purchased new.(plus the clutch wasn't complete and the new bearings weren't in the clutch kit) So now as I accelerate with the new transmission, I get a vibrating ringing sound and can't pin it down.only on acceleration,if i start slowing it goes away.

OK so I used the 240 transmission-mount, drive shaft, the hydrolic clutch piston thing that's attached to the transmission(11/16), the black clutch fork that its connected to, throw-out bearing. Basically all the clutch parts transferred them to the 5 speed. left the 5 speed shifter. Also I forgot to get the speedometer plastic gear and I had to use the 4 speed one(yellow for sure 17 pins i think)The speedometer doesn't work now but the tachometer does. Also down shifting or getting back into gear from neutral while at speed is not so smooth. these are the problems.

now for the question. what is this transmission. I thought all 4 speed transmissions were 2 piece with the bell housing permanently attached. when removed it it was clearly a 3 piece transmission. also the shifter looks unique to me. also this is the clutch i kept in with the 5 speed junkyard transmission. Pretty much any info would be nice on the transmission but figuring out the ringing sound is more important.

i found some info on the transmission after going here http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/AandBtranny.htm

post-1650-024485600 1315811870_thumb.png

post-1650-025407700 1315811887_thumb.png

post-1650-023950200 1315811944_thumb.png

post-1650-011534400 1315811974_thumb.png

post-1650-016807600 1315812005_thumb.png

post-1650-090080500 1315812019_thumb.png

Edited by cuzak901

Your 4-speed trans in the early type (4W71A) that was used in the first year 240Z. The shifter and 3-piece case are the most obvious differences compared to the later type. The shifter is commonly referred to as the "monkey motion" shifter. The later type (4W71B) has the 2-piece case and a different shift design.

The vibration could be from a loose or bad trans mount, worn output shaft bushing, or perhaps a bad internal bearing.

Your 4-speed trans in the early type (4W71A) that was used in the first year 240Z. The shifter and 3-piece case are the most obvious differences compared to the later type. The shifter is commonly referred to as the "monkey motion" shifter. The later type (4W71B) has the 2-piece case and a different shift design.

The vibration could be from a loose or bad trans mount, worn output shaft bushing, or perhaps a bad internal bearing.

if the car didnt used to make the sound till after the swap and i reused the trans mount. wouldnt that make it ok? also were is the outputshaft bushing. is it somthing i can look at without opening the transmission

if the car didnt used to make the sound till after the swap and i reused the trans mount. wouldnt that make it ok? also were is the outputshaft bushing. is it somthing i can look at without opening the transmission

The trans mount could still be bad in that it could have failed after you changed transmissions by happenstance. You could have some loose hardware. Check the tightness of the bolts.

The output shaft bushing is installed at the very end of the transmission where the drive shaft goes in. To check it quickly just push up on the drive shaft near the front u-joint. If the bushing is bad the drive shaft will seem to move quite a lot. The service manual does not provide any info about the clearances.

Transmission.bmp

The trans mount could still be bad in that it could have failed after you changed transmissions by happenstance. You could have some loose hardware. Check the tightness of the bolts.

The output shaft bushing is installed at the very end of the transmission where the drive shaft goes in. To check it quickly just push up on the drive shaft near the front u-joint. If the bushing is bad the drive shaft will seem to move quite a lot. The service manual does not provide any info about the clearances.

Transmission.bmp

Is there a way you can tell what clutch I have from the pics I put there. Because the contact pad on the clutch is bigger then the one I purchased. Also it has 9 bolts and the one I got had 6 mounting holes.

Also i'll check the drive shaft play in the morning.

Is it possible that the clutch I kept is to thick and is keeping the throwout bearing in contact with the clutch plate. Could that cause the noise. Also on deceleration I noticed that when I keep the car in gear(especially the early gears) I get a scrubbing/rubbing sound. Not really grinding more scrubbing.

Edited by cuzak901