HybridZ

280z Tokico springs into a 240z - measured stack height

I just finished installing the 280z Tokico springs in my 1972 240z. My car has an LS1 and 4L60E along with an Z13 CLSD R200. I measured a stack height of approximately 8 inches in the front on both the drivers and passenger side. The gap between the top of the wheels and the fender lip is right at 3 inches, and my ride height is 8-5/8 inches.

I am going to cut 2 full coils off the springs, but before I do so I was wondering what others who have done this modification have measured on their setup and/or how many coils did you cut.

Thanks.

Considering I must be one of the only ones on the forum that has done this modification, I'll add my results here. I replaced the old Tokico 240z springs with the Tokico 280z springs per John Coffeys FAQ, which can be found in the FAQ section.

I wound up cutting off 1.5 coils if you include the top flat coil on the front springs. In other words, my cut is 180 degrees opposite the end of the coil after one full winding. I did not have to cut the rear coils at all. I ended up with a wheel gap of approximately 1.5 inches front and rear. Keep in mind that this was for my setup. Your results may vary.

I have no idea why I did not do this modification sooner. My old turbo setup was riding far too low (less than a 1/4-in. wheel gap) and I could barely get my floor jack under the front crossmember even with the insert removed. After the LS1/4L60E swap, the weight distribution was shifted to the rear. I had minor rubbing issues before, but after the LS1 swap it was much worse.

The ride is now so much better. It is certainly firmer but I am no longer crashing over bumps as I did with the old Tokicos. I suffered from coil binding in the front as well and the rears could not handle the shift in weight distribution as well as the added weight of the 4L60E. My rubbing issues are long gone. I rolled the fenders a bit more, but the stiffer spring and significant increase in wheel gap are the real fixes.

For those with 240z's not wishing to spend the money on coil overs but wanting a firmer ride, as well as addressing the coil bind issue, I highly recommend the Tokico 280z springs. Yes, it takes around 6 to 8 hours to complete the installation (install, set on ground, measure stack height, jack back up, remove springs, cut, install, set on ground, cuss that you chickened out and did not cut enough, etc.) but in the end it is well worth it.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the writeup and JohnC's too.

Ordering the 280z springs today after much deliberation about Coil-overs which I just don't have the energy to do right now.

I'll try to take some pictures to add to this and the FAQ.

KTM- After reading this and the FAQ it sounds like you cut more than JohnC hints at his FAQ. Assume you just wanted a specific ride height?

John's FAQ is to get a stock ride height on a 240z using the linear Tokico 280z springs. KTM was shooting for a slightly lower than stock ride height. I also cut my springs slightly more (1/2 coil) than John's FAQ. Actually installing the springs and measuring before cutting to determine the drop is definitely the right way to go about doing this!

I want to leave a little on the table also.

Today my 195-60/14s are about 23" tall.

Within a month or so I am cutting for ZG Flares and 16x10 rims to get something like a 25" tire size.

Plus installing an R200..

this really all needs to happen at the same time- Dangit.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the springs this weekend, and it raised the rear 1" :\ I wanted it to drop 1"

I ended up cutting 1.5 coils on the rears (1/2 coil was the flat) so 1 "free" coil.

This brought me back to the original ride height (26" from ground to top of wheel arch).

After I drove it to work today, it looks like the suspension settled an inch. Hopefully this is at the 1" drop I was looking for.

(ps: cutting installed coils isn't too bad with an angle grinder. You can forget about using a hacksaw unless your objective is to build muscles, sweat, and burn time)