HybridZ

Xr 3000

suparman

I purchased the crane xr 3000 system for my '73 240. I got it installed I think the phasing is correct. red led light flashes with spark but I get huge back fires. I took the dist. out and reversed it I was thinking I was I was 180 out but I still get huge flaming carb backfires. New wires cap and rotor good ground. I am thinking that when I bought the car the P.O. told me they had the head rebuilt and timing was not set correctly on the re install when I have it at what I believe is T.D.C. the timing mark on crank is 1.5-2 inches past zero time. Is that a possibility ? IDK...very frustrated.

The Balancer can spin so that may not be the most accurate way. Remove the valve cover and check the cam timing. Remove the number 1 spark plug and place a long plastic wire tie in the cylinder so it touches the piston. Rotate the engine until that pistons reached TDC which the wire tie will not move up any further. Check to see where the mark is on the balancer and timing tab. If the balancer mark lines up with the timing tab its set correctly. If not, it may have spun slightly or the engine is set up incorrectly.

So I used prescribed methods to confirm TDC status and I think I am there. I find it troubling that the balancer is so far off and the rotor seems to be just a touch off as is my pickup on the disk. the disk is the easiest to adjust just a screw and I will have it on the leading edge again. I have adjusted the wheel several times its almost like it migrates on its own just the tiniest bit.

post-5470-013061300 1316831269_thumb.jpg

post-5470-027111600 1316831416_thumb.jpg

post-5470-010014600 1316831512_thumb.jpg

post-5470-042856000 1316831595_thumb.jpg

Edited by suparman