HybridZ

MS2 Timing

Hey guy just wondering If any one can clear up some questions I have regaurds Megasquirt in stall. Im trying to set timing according to write-up by 'mobythevan' He says to set number 1 cylinder to TDC then turn it back about 50 degrees BTDC which I've done. Then he says to "Loosen the distributor and turn it by hand with the MSnS powered up. Turn the distributor until you see the middle LED come on. When this lights up stop and tighten the distributor back down."

I'm a bit confuse by this does he mean to loosen or remove the screw that holds the diz? And do I have to turn it clock wise or counter clock wise? and do I have to do full turns or just back and fort?

I turned my diz by hand and at some point my fuel pump kicked on real quick and my coil sparked it did it a few times while I was turning the diz. but no LED stayed lid on my MS.

Im running MS2 and the lates firmware and im using TunerStudio.

THanks,

Manny

Moby refers to the two screws at the base of the distributor, which are through slotted holes. These are normally used to set the base ignition timing on a stock car. Just loosening them should allow you to rotate the dis quite a bit. The 50 degree number is your trigger offset and this should be set in megasquirt which I assume you've done.

You're megasquirts LEDs may not be wired to show the trigger pulse. The fact that you heard the fuel pump (and you should hear the injectors pulse) is a definite good sign. If I were you, from here I'd make sure the cylinders are actually getting fuel and spark, then just adjust that distributor until it holds an idle. After that take out the timing light and set it like stock.

Yes you rotate the entire distributor to adjust the timing trigger. Shouldn't have to play with it much though. One thing you could try thats related to this is changing that 50 degree offset value a little, incrementally. I think mine ended up at 60.

But of course, there are a lot of reasons it might not idle. I'd now go back and verify things like your Required Fuel value and injector characteristics & control. This is assuming things like your fuel and timing tables are good.

Sounds like you're close!

Thanks Gavin!

THe Car is Running and it stays On and Idles. I want to see If anyone has a MSQ I can use as a starting point.

Im running MS-II PCBv3

My set up is Stock L28et with P90 head and N42 manifold

-T3/T4 hybrid turbo

-MSD 2225 electric fuel pump

-upgraded fuel rail

-240sx TB

-Arizona Z TB spacer

-CX racing FMIC

-3 inch exhaust

-Stock distributor with Z31 module

-injectors are 450cc at 38psi, 480cc at 43.5psi (3bar)or 500cc at 47psi

I have some files from the map sharing post or other old post (like metro's, raven's and ninner's)but dont know which one I can use

I was going to use ninner's but his running MSD 6al which might be the only difference.

any help would be appreciated, Its about time to get my Z running and driving.

Thanks guys!