HybridZ

700r4 surging

Its been a while. Getting back to the Z now.

I have a ZZ4 crate engine and a 700r4 that had been sitting in my garage for 8 years or so and put it in my 72 240.

I got it all in and running. During the first few tuning runs it ran "ok". Then the next day I could not get it to go into drive or reverse. After checking the fluid level and scratching my head for a few days, I started it and it just went into gear like nothing was wrong. Now the transmission is surging. Like its going in and out of gear. I took it to a local trans shop and they said the pan was full of clutch material.

The question is. Do I get another 700r4 from Bowtie Overdrives for $1500? Fix this one with better parts recommended by you knowledgable people for less? Or a different type trans all together?

Its been a while. Getting back to the Z now.

I have a ZZ4 crate engine and a 700r4 that had been sitting in my garage for 8 years or so and put it in my 72 240.

I got it all in and running. During the first few tuning runs it ran "ok". Then the next day I could not get it to go into drive or reverse. After checking the fluid level and scratching my head for a few days, I started it and it just went into gear like nothing was wrong. Now the transmission is surging. Like its going in and out of gear. I took it to a local trans shop and they said the pan was full of clutch material.

The question is. Do I get another 700r4 from Bowtie Overdrives for $1500? Fix this one with better parts recommended by you knowledgable people for less? Or a different type trans all together?

You can rebuild yours to handle 500+ horsepower for less than 1500.... I have this Pro-Built kit in my '84 Buick Regal with a ZZ383 and it's awesome... http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=41&cat=19&page=1 My '90 IROC-Z also has a Pro-Build kit in it. A friend owns a garage and he put it together for $250.00 and I'm running 11s all day long and after 12,000 hard miles not 1 problem. The motor is coming out this month to go in my '72 240z with a T56... You can go to thirdgen.org and search pro-build and see how good the kits are. They are located in Ca and they can build yours... Enjoy...

Edited by myzblubyu

I bought a used 700R4 from a member years ago and had a local tranny guru rebuild it for me, 600 bucks for the rebuild I believe. I have been running this same 700R4 with an Edge 9.5" 3800 stall converter for 7 yrs with nop problems. My Z runs 9's in the 1/4 and I have several hundred passes on it too, so don't shy away from aa well built 700R4!

I bought a used 700R4 from a member years ago and had a local tranny guru rebuild it for me, 600 bucks for the rebuild I believe. I have been running this same 700R4 with an Edge 9.5" 3800 stall converter for 7 yrs with nop problems. My Z runs 9's in the 1/4 and I have several hundred passes on it too, so don't shy away from aa well built 700R4!

What rebuild kit did they use?

Are you in So Cal or anywhere close?

Do you know what upgrades they did?

Any direction will help?

What rebuild kit did they use?

Are you in So Cal or anywhere close?

Do you know what upgrades they did?

Any direction will help?

I live in Plano,Texas

I just know he said let me have it for a week and I will do all the best upgrades. The tranny came out of an 89 Corvette I believe but it has lasted forever. What ever you do get the TV cable set right or you will burn them up in a hurry!