HybridZ

Cam timing,Ford experts needed..

Please see this thread.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/48-ford-small-block-engine/277639-worst-afr-165-dyno-ever.html

Ive made the changes I spoke about in that thread but when setting the timing the engine seems to run best at 35 or so degrees at idle. around 25 it idles extremely rough and below that it will barely run. I did not assemble the bottom end. Is it possible for the cam to be out of time causing this issue?

Not to mention the low power.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the slow response but I just joined the forum. You have probably solved this by now but here is my guess.

If the engine is running well at the 35 degree point, I would suspect the outside of the damper has rotated in relation to the center. This would give you a false timing reading. This is fairly common. I usually time my Ford engines by how they run and start versus any timing marks. If the cam timing is off in the fast direction it usually will not run unless it is up around 3K RPM or better. If the cam timing is slow the engine will not move above idle.

280Z/351Ford