HybridZ

75 280z 2+2

Hello to all, forgive me I'm new at this. What I have is a 75 280z 2+2 and I want to put a V8 into it. This is a father son project that we have been working on for a while now and we are close to the point where the decision of what type of V8 is the best. I would like a lot of torque but something that is affordable. What kits are the best for a change over, engine and transmission, would like to keep the car a automatic. I have heard 96 newer 3.5 fuel injected truck engine and tranny would be a good and reliable set-up. Any suggestions? thanks

Welcome to HBZ!

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/forum/30-v8-z-forums/

Start reading. There is basically all of the information you will ever need to get your project started and finished.

I have not done a v8 swap but have read a lot about them and seen threads detailing other builds. Good place to start is JTR. Jags that run. They have a complete manual and parts needed to mount a 350 small block chevy V8. Many of these swaps are made much easier by sticking to carbs rather than the fuel injection of a newer engine.

What kind of experience do you and your dad have? Welding, fabrication, electrical? All of this will determine how you should approach this. Also need to consider the cost of this swap. Its easy to add up all the big stuff and think it will be possibly (engine, trans, carb, mounts, etc) Those already add up to a lot but the multitude of small things will kill your budget. Hoses, clamps, nuts and bolts, tubing, etc, etc) It all adds up really quick when you get going.

Give us a little more information on the car as well. What kind of shape is the chassis in, is it structurally sound? Is the suspension original or going to be replaced? Brakes? The car has to work together and may not be safe or nearly as fun without other things being addressed.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 406 I can sell you it is complete. has 5.7 rods a small streetable roller cam with a stick it will run low sevens in the 8th mile and get 15-20 mpg . a stock 200r rear diff will work listen to everyone who tells you to use overdrive tranny if automatic. if you have interest in 406 call me 615-573-1990.

ps the engine to the left is the 406. I built a 427 to replace it

Edited by saxfiend1967