HybridZ

Another source of springs besides AZ Car?

I just got off the phone with Dave at AZCar and he's so backed up on his orders that he has no plans to put the springs back into production for S30 Zs. Apparently he has to use a new supplier and he says he just doesn't have time to look up the specs and test a sample on a car, even if he had a car to test on. He sounded rather stressed so regardless of why, he's not going to have them for sale any time soon.

I currently have the Tokico springs and Illumina's on my 73 240 and want to go to a stiffer spring but as I already have adjustable LCA and TC from TTT I don't want to go the expense of coil overs. The 180F 200R combo from AZCar looked like it would be a good compromise for my mostly street driven but occasional track car.

I've seen where people have taken the Tokico 280Z springs and cut them down but as the fronts are progressive, I'd prefer to stay away from them. Although I've never felt it with the current 240 Tokicos, I can see by the marks on the springs' paint that they are binding.

Does anyone know of another source of springs?

I've seen where people have taken the Tokico 280Z springs and cut them down but as the fronts are progressive, I'd prefer to stay away from them. Although I've never felt it with the current 240 Tokicos, I can see by the marks on the springs' paint that they are binding.

:huh:

The reason people use 280Z Tokico springs is because they are linear. The 240Z Tokico springs are the progressive ones.

Hmmm. I have some notes I pasted into a text file from a few years ago that say both the 240 and 280z are progressive in front and it's the 280zx that are linear. But I would be glad if you're correct on that.

Can you or someone confirm from first hand experience that the 280Z front springs are linear?

Going from memory, I was under the impression that the 280zx springs are slightly larger in diameter so not an option for the S30. Or am I mistaken on that?

I suppose that begs another question: is going from 140F/165R to 175F/200R enough of an increase to make it worth it? If I had choices, I'd go with 200F/225R.

Ran into the same issue with the AZC springs being NLA myself not to long ago.

Located in the FAQ's section...

Installing Tokico 280Z HP Springs in 240Z

The 280Z spring's are the one's you want NOT the ZX springs. They are linear for a fact as I have a set of them on my '73 240Z and are the same diameter as the 240Z springs so they are a direct fit.

The 240Z tokico springs are progressive front/linear rear which is why people use the 280Z linear front and linear rear springs instead which are 185 lb front 200 lb rear spring rates.

The tokico springs are currently the only option if wanting a drop in replacement, otherwise you'll have to do a coilover setup using the threaded sleeve's and aftermarket springs from QA1 or other similar spring manufactures to get anything higher than a 200 lb rate spring.

I have not yet driven my car but they should be stiff enough for good handling and a comfortable ride for my 302 HO powered Z.

Quick search will show other V8 Z owners that use them and like them as well even with a heavier small block chevy 350 in the car. If you still have the L6 they should be enough spring rate for your liking.

Edited by Apex944