HybridZ

Crank by hand options

Ptero

I've got an l28et engine that has been sitting for an undetermined amount of time and in unknown condition. I poured some automatic tranny fluid into the cylinders to try and loosen things up and then put a bit more in a few days later.

Today I tried cranking it by hand and I've run into a problem. Using a breaker bar I can get the crank bolt to move but it's pretty tough and the pulley doesn't move. I removed the bolt and it looked fine with no metal shavings on the thread (was looking to see if I was stripping the threads). The car is an automatic so I can't rock it back and forth to try and break it loose. I'm at a point where I could continue with the breaker bar and have one of 2 results. Either it cranks or I strip the threads. Do I have any other options (other than trying to start it with the ignition)?

I've got an l28et engine that has been sitting for an undetermined amount of time and in unknown condition. I poured some automatic tranny fluid into the cylinders to try and loosen things up and then put a bit more in a few days later.

Today I tried cranking it by hand and I've run into a problem. Using a breaker bar I can get the crank bolt to move but it's pretty tough and the pulley doesn't move. I removed the bolt and it looked fine with no metal shavings on the thread (was looking to see if I was stripping the threads). The car is an automatic so I can't rock it back and forth to try and break it loose. I'm at a point where I could continue with the breaker bar and have one of 2 results. Either it cranks or I strip the threads. Do I have any other options (other than trying to start it with the ignition)?

I took an engine out of my car that was running ok, put it in the corner of my shed and left it there for 12 months. I knew it had a blown HG but I drained all the coolant out and thought I would be fine with that, I'd change the HG when it was time to put the engine back in.

Unfortunately, some amount of coolant must have entered a cylinder and rusted the bore...I could NOT turn it over. As soon as I took off the head, I could see what had happened.

If the bell housing has suitable access you can turn the engine by the flex plate. There are tools designed to grab the teeth on the ring gear for holding and turning the engine. I don't know if it is strong enough to do what you cannot do with the balancer bolt.

If you can't turn the engine without worrying that you will damage that big screw the engine is rusted badly enough that even of you got it to run it will have no rings in about 10 seconds.

If the bell housing has suitable access you can turn the engine by the flex plate. There are tools designed to grab the teeth on the ring gear for holding and turning the engine. I don't know if it is strong enough to do what you cannot do with the balancer bolt.

If you can't turn the engine without worrying that you will damage that big screw the engine is rusted badly enough that even of you got it to run it will have no rings in about 10 seconds.

Yep, off with its head!!